DIY multilayer PCB and FPC with circuit vinyl cutter?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for the report.

I am not surprised by this first test. The foil is very thin. I should have mentioned how hard it is to transfer without wrinkling, etc.

A couple of ideas, maybe a good, maybe not.

Get unplated FR4, stick the (probably thicker) copper foil to it, then cut on that. I don’t know how hard it would be to weed, though.

Cut a negative mask, weed it, the spray on something for resist (not sure what, but it seems doable), then etch.

seanstevens

Joined Sep 22, 2009
Excellent ideas. What would happen if you throw a laser engraver into the equation? I wonder if it would cut the copper cleanly or at all, if not maybe a more powerful engraver? Then you would need to deal with the fumes etc.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Excellent ideas. What would happen if you throw a laser engraver into the equation? I wonder if it would cut the copper cleanly or at all, if not maybe a more powerful engraver? Then you would need to deal with the fumes etc.
I think a laser engraver would be much better suited to this; actually I was thinking this while watching the Cricut's blade clumsily smear my copper traces around. I thought, using a laser on a copper clad board would be tricky; to etch just the copper without burning through the board. But for this process it's just fine to burn through whatever is behind the board. But, being distracted as I was by failure playing out in that moment, I didn't google "laser engraving copper PCB" until just now when I was reminded by your post to do so. That is when I found the evidence that I had been looking for. The evidence that I am not the first one to think of this. As usual, beaten to it by years. Even the Capton/copper sandwich FPC. Apparently, totally doable with a CNC Laser.

EDIT: He is spray painting, laser-etching the paint, then chemically etching the exposed copper. I'm talking about burning straight through the copper with the laser. So I maintain some element of originality. Just want to clarify that.

Last edited: