Divided by a Common Language

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola studiot, I think this could be somehow in line with your OP. Sorry if not.

Just to confirm what I recall from my years at sea and very few recent voyages, could anyone in UK, Australia and USA, post a .wav (or whatever, but not mp4) file for me to hear how a native pronounces the following in bold:?

Gateacre Brow (street in Liverpool - UK)
Gateacre (suburb in Liverpool - UK)
Charleston (US East Coast)
Newport News (US East Coast)
newspapers (yes, the printed thing)
Houston( Gulf of Mexico)

Please do not try to be nice; just say it as you would say it, talking to a friend.

BTW, my friend (British, born and living in Liverpool), I understand what she says in a 99,999% but the (native) taxi driver that brought me to her home last year, spoke what I think, was a different language. :confused: I understood maybe a 00,001 % of what he said. :eek: (He was talking about our (soccer) players in Europe). Good to note that luckily, he understood my explanation on how to reach her place (¡Gracias Street View!!) ;)

Gracias.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For those who might like to enjoy the difference between US and UK stuff
Just a few comments from someone born and raised in UK but now living in N.A. On the subject of word origin, many in the UK may think that the American use of Fall instead of Autumn is an Americanism, Fall is one of the few old English words that remained, and the UK changed it to Autumn.
The thing I had to get used to before the metrication in Canada was the use of both Imperial and U.S. means of measure.
If I purchased a gal of cooking oil, the gallon was U.S. whereas if I bought a gal of gas it was Imperial, Canadians as a whole do not know even know now what a pint of beer should be, most think it is 16oz (US) instead of 20oz (Imp).:eek:
Max.

Just a few comments from someone born and raised in UK but now living in N.A. On the subject of word origin, many in the UK may think that the American use of Fall instead of Autumn is an Americanism, Fall is one of the few old English words that remained, and the UK changed it to Autumn.
The thing I had to get used to before the metrication in Canada was the use of both Imperial and U.S. means of measure.
If I purchased a gal of cooking oil, the gallon was U.S. whereas if I bought a gal of gas it was Imperial, Canadians as a whole do not know even know now what a pint of beer should be, most think it is 16oz (US) instead of 20oz (Imp).:eek:
Max.
Your comment caused my mind to 'Fall' into 'Autumn' melodically ;):

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Max.
Very, very interesting stuff... my being bilingual has given me a unique perspective on the differences between English and... well... American :D ... It's hilarious to me sometimes, and lots of people don't get why I find this sort of thing funny ... I'll laugh all the same with "Monty Python" as with "How I Met Your Mother" sense of humor

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Gateacre Brow (street in Liverpool - UK)
Gateacre (suburb in Liverpool - UK)
Charleston (US East Coast)
Newport News (US East Coast)
newspapers (yes, the printed thing)
Houston( Gulf of Mexico)
Siri says all of these as I would (Chicago area, northern Illinois) except for Gateacre, where I would use a long A on the "gate" part, but she seems to use "gat" instead.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Siri says all of these as I would (Chicago area, northern Illinois) except for Gateacre, where I would use a long A on the "gate" part, but she seems to use "gat" instead.
Sorry wayneh, but (non-native here) could you post an audio sample?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The results you get at online text-to-speech tools (here, here, here) are all the same and all correct except for Gateacre. I would say this as if it was two words - gate acre. Those online tools produce that result if you add the space.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The results you get at online text-to-speech tools (here, here, here) are all the same and all correct except for Gateacre. I would say this as if it was two words - gate acre. Those online tools produce that result if you add the space.
Note being familiar with Gateacre, I would pronounce it gat - ay ckr.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
When I was a kid my Dad was stationed at Lakenheath Air Force Base in Great Britain. We lived a while off base. Brits have some of the most delicious cookies on earth, but they don't call them that. My Mom wanted some from the milk man (they delivered back then), he didn't have a clue what she was asking for until the light bulb went off. "Oh, you want some biscuits!"

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
A simple solution. Gracias Wayne.

I have always been intrigued why everybody pronounces the particle "ou" in "Houston" so differently as you do in, for example, "noun", "mould", "bound".