Discharging and Charging NiMh with a circuit

Eric So

Joined Aug 18, 2016
I am trying to create a portable LED Acrylic Cube using NiMh batteries. However, I do not want to always take out the batteries to charge them, so is there a breakout board or I.C. that can charge the NiMH battery while it powers the leds simultaneously?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I am trying to create a portable LED Acrylic Cube using NiMh batteries. However, I do not want to always take out the batteries to charge them, so is there a breakout board or I.C. that can charge the NiMH battery while it powers the leds simultaneously?
What you want to do will probably compromise most schemes for preventing over charging the cells.

The data sheet for the cells should indicate a low charge rate that isn't subject to a time limit, if that charge rate can also cover the LED current draw, you will probably be OK.

Nickel chemistry works better if you discharge it all the way down every once in a while.

A while back I got a shaver on Freegle that only ran about 5 minutes per charge - I just kept charging it and running it down till it picked up, its been fine ever since. Your battery will go to sleep if you leave it on charge all the time.