Diode purchase

Tucy

Joined Apr 25, 2009
My old diodes are not working I need to find some more. Written on the diode is IN4007 GW, the diodes are part of a circuit board that contains 4 relays and 4 diodes. The board is at the rear of my 4WD, its for a caravan or trailer lights, when turning on the indicators the feed is going into the board and i can hear the relays clicking, when i put a screw driver to each relay to hear which one is working, I found that they were all clicking together. Hence the check on the diodes, they all give the same reading when conecting my multimeter, in both directions. Which does not seem correct.
The car is 12v made in Germany. Any thoughts on my diognosis and where to get the new diodes from.

Regards Tucy.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Where do you live?
This is an international forum.
When you do not state where you live, we can not give a correct place to buy the diodes.

Greetings,
Bertus

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
The 1N4007 is one of the most common diode in use and you can get them in any electronics parts retailer.
In Perth try any of the following; Dick Smith, Jaycar, or Altronics to name a few off the top of my head.

I would however be surprised if all 4 were infact faulty as the 1N4007 is a rugged beast that can take a lot of abuse. What I do suspect is that the diodes are connected across the relay coils and what you are seeing as a short is actually the resistance of the relay coil. Did you disconnect one side of each diode before testing it? If you didn't then what you are seeing is the resistance of whatever is connected across the diodes.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Amen bro. I was lucky to by a whole role I will never use all of for about a buck. Look around, they can be extremely cheap. If you conclude they really are toast, higher amperage diode are also cheap, something like 3A is common, and most start around 25V (more than enough for a car). The 1N4007 is rated for 1000V.

Tucy

Joined Apr 25, 2009
Thanks Gents,

Alex, I've removed one of the 4 anodes from the circuit and it seems to be OK.
Its a bit late here now, but I'll do the same with the three tomorrow...... well remove ONE end to test those.
If they are all OK then i will need to check out the 5 pin relays, can they be tested when attached to the circuit board?
Appreciate your expertise. Regards Tucy

Tucy

Joined Apr 25, 2009
Hi Folks

I need to buy OEG OUDH-SS-112D 10amp 5 pin relay. I can get them from the USA but the postage is very expensive, does anyone know where i can go in Perth or Australia for one, I've tried wormcom but they don't carry them.:confused:

Regards David

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Yes I realise that it can handle a slightly lower current but as long as the pin layout is the same it should do the job. All it has do after all is drive one or two 21 Watt turn indicator lamps, that's 1.75 to 3.5 amp, probably double that for inrush current when the lamps are cold so if you have one turn lamp on each side of the trailer/van the relay will be well within specs, two lamps/side is pushing the limits but it should be OK.