diode novice needs advice

xhdskip

Joined Dec 16, 2015
Hi guys,
I've got a high output alternator for my truck stereo.
I've been old I need a diode, so my question is this.
12 volt system naturally, 200 amp output alternator, 2,000 watt system.
What diode do I need?
Any size, name brand, recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
skip

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So, "somebody said" you need a diode. I think you better check with whomever that was.
Alternators already have 6 diodes inside them. That makes it difficult to guess where and why you need another diode.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Do you have a scope? Check the ripple voltage or AC voltage coming from the alternator output terminal. If you dont have a scope, use an AC voltmeter. Max should be 0.3 VAC. If more, you may have leaky diodes in alternator or problem with stator.

xhdskip

Joined Dec 16, 2015
I think further explanation is necessary. I've got the positive wired up directly on top of the battery.
I'm thinkin if I put a diode in the line, it might stop the feedback problem.
Right? Totally wrong? way off base? I don't have a clue so any help is appreciated.

chv_sck

Joined Feb 4, 2017
Hi,
If you mean that it's howlling like Hendrix, but you're not playing Hendrix, I doubt that a diode will do anything for you. The alternator COULD possibly produce some whine, but the battery should filter most of that out.

I'd suggest that you look at some successful systems. You may have issues with the size of the power wiring or quality of your connections. You're dumping a lot of power through those wires.

It may be that you need one or more capacitors on the power wiring near to the amp itself, or there may be other techniques that are commonly used. Feedback is just what it sounds like -- the output is somehow getting fed back into the input. When this happens it keeps building up and oscillates.

Good Luck,

hj

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure you're barking at the wrong answer.
A 200 amp diode is not a small device and probably won't fix anything.
I've seen some preposterously large capacitors for use in automotive audio. That's probably where you will end up.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
I would guess that your problem is one of a Few.

One is your Head unit a Kenwood?

Two did you install the System yourself or was it installed by a Shop?

Next Question! How was all the wiring ran from the Head Unit and battery to your Amp(s)?
What type of RCA's where used?

If your using a Kenwood Deck, Replace it. I have never had anything but issues with Kenwood Headunits.. If you like it then it is something you may have to live with the feedback...

James