DIN Rails and terminal blocks

infy

Joined Jun 18, 2020
Hey everyone - I've recently become interested in DIN rail solutions for wiring 12V systems. Typically I've used simple screw terminal blocks and I'm looking for something a little more modern, easier to organize, easier to scale, and overall safer. DIN rails check most of the boxes.

My particular application is marine and the requirement is screws against a plate which compress a multi-stranded wire. That's pretty much the standard for DIN anyway.

The first part of my project requires a new terminal and I was wondering - What is the best practice for wiring DIN terminal blocks?

Should I have two separate red/black color coded blocks for the positive and ground? I haven't really seen this setup.
Or should I use a double-level terminal block and set the bottom level as ground and top level as positive?

The double level block seems to make the most sense to me.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
When I was doing electrical design there were a few catalogs I kept on the bookshelf in my office for giving me ideas.

Hoffman Enclosures
Allen Bradley
Grainger
McMaster Carr

Talking to the Purchasing Dept. Buyers and Craft Supervisors to get a heads up on what is typically used is not a bad thing.

Now, Google is your Friend!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Weidmuller is another good one, also make excellent tools BTW. ;)
Also I assume this is LV DC?
If the neg. side is at ground potential and you are using metallic enclosures, you could also look at the DIN terminals that make contact with the DIN rail, normally used for earth ground in a industrial setting.
The only thing is they are Green/Yellow.
If this is practical in this application.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
BTW the versions shown in post #2 have copper linking straps available to common up a group of adjacent terminals. If wishing to isolate from chassis

infy

Joined Jun 18, 2020
Yeah I'm currently trying to decide on which brand of DIN blocks to go with. Everyone seems to have a different take on design and feature set. And they're not always cross-compatible.

I think a solid bridge would be best for me. Screw mount. The press-fit jumper versions wouldn't be as reliable due to vibration and impacts.

I'm also reading that not all DIN blocks are built to the same standards. An important part of this is making sure that I use the right types of components. If there is ever an insurance claim, I don't want them to have standing to decline because I used the wrong parts.

I'm also looking for a brand that is easy to install and remove off a rail. I'm hoping to avoid having having to slide components on/off the ends.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have used Automation Direct DIN terminals and they have worked quite well. And while the ferrule on the end of the wire is sort of nice, just a bit of caution assembling the connection avoids needing them.