Digital Combination logic

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What I want to say is that if there are so much answers already there, then it's unnecessary to talk too much, we just lead him to the answers as WBahn linked, when the learner has some problems from the answers then we just solve those problems, I think that is more easier.
By giving him a link that covers the material, I am doing something very different than just solving his problem for him. He still has to figure out how the material on the linked site applies to his particular problem. He can't just copy it down and be done (and probably think that he understands it as he does it). While you might eventually end up having to just work the problem to show them the steps, I believe it is better to ask leading questions and force them to make at least the final jump to the answer to their problem. Keep in mind that, usually, they have seen the material in a text, they have seen examples worked in the text, they have seen examples worked in class. Seeing their homework worked for them is not likely to accomplish anything that all those other examples failed to do. Most people need to struggle with the problems themselves in order for the right connections to be made.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
View attachment 51442
So for this one
a | b | z(output)
0 | 0 | 0
0 | 1 | 1
1 | 0 | 1
1 | 1 | 1

I think is OR am I right?
The truth table you have is for an OR function, but the truth table does not match the circuit you show in the link.

Label the internal nodes (the nodes after each of the inverters) and then show them in a truth table. So call the node after the top inverter C and the node after the bottom inverter D. You table should then look something like this:

A|B||C|D||Z
0|0|||||
0|1|||||
1|0|||||
1|1|||||

Using the truth table for an inverter, fill in the columns for C and D.

Then, using the truth table for a NOR, fill in the column for Z using C and D as the NOR gate inputs.

Yes, but you need to be more confident. You need to look at that truth table and declare, "This is an OR function."

What that circuit shows is an implementation of what is known as "Demorgan's Theorem", which says that if

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
By giving him a link that covers the material, I am doing something very different that just solving his problem for him. He still has to figure out how the material on the linked site applies to his particular problem. He can't just copy it down and be done (and probably thinking that he understands it as he does it). While you might eventually end up having to just work the problem to show them the steps, I believe it is better to ask leading questions and force them to make at least the final jump to the answer to their problem. Keep in mind that, usually, they have seent he material in a text, they have seen examples worked in the text, they have seen examples worked in class. Seeing their homework worked for them is not likely to accomplish anything that all those other examples failed to do. Most people need to struggle with the problems themselves in order for the right connections to be made.
I said the answers that sometimes maybe not the answers and those just the basic conceptions in EE, so if they can reading the conception and establish the foundation, they will understand more theories and they can thinking more, during the reading if they have any problems then they can post on the forum, I just thought that would be better than to teach them from everything.

This site already establish many foundation chapters and sections as the courses, but those still not enough, so we have to link some other sites.