Digital Circuit Problem

AZOO

Joined Jun 22, 2020
I am trying to make a digital clock can you help me?

implement a digital clock by team collaboration using Logicworks.

You should implement following functions using 7 seven-segment displays with two switches. LED1, LED2, LED3, LED4, LED4, LED5, and LED6. If you do not follow this layout, you cannot get any point.
- SW0 is used to switch modes following the sequence: time, and alarm clock
1. LED 5-6 (seconds) These are used to display seconds. The unit of second is modulus 2. When it reaches 60 (0,2,4, …, 58) the minute will increase by 1 at daytime(A) and decrease by 1 at nighttime(P).
2. LED 3-4 (minutes) These are used to display minutes. The minute increase/decrease by one at every 60 seconds. One hour is 45 minutes. At day time minute increases 0, 1, 2, …, 45 and at night time it decreases 45, 44, 43,…,0. Make sure you have switch to insert any value.
3. LED 2 (hour) This is used to display hour. This is a single number and the hour increases by one(in 45 min hour will increase 1). Make sure to have a switch to insert any value. The hour has 5 states starts at 00.
4. LED 1 (hour) Display A for day time and P for night time. Make sure to have a switch to insert any value.
- Setting: users can set to any desired AM/PM, an hour, a minute, but not a second or millisecond. In this mode, users can set AM/PM first. If SW1 is pushed on, users can set an hour. If SW1 is again on, users can set a minute. If SW1 is pushed again, users can set AM/PM, and so on. - Alarm Clock: In this mode, initially all LEDs display at 0:0:00:00. If In this mode, users can set AM/PM first. If SW1 is pushed on, users can set an hour. If SW1 is again on, users can set a minute. If SW1 is pushed again, users can set AM/PM. If SW0 is pushed the alarm clock will store the inserted time and go back to the regular clock.

Attachments

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello There
:)Its a good place to start...Because your more than half way home.I know that you know you had to put on your thinking cap on sometime!

NV_0417_Julstrom_Figure03.jpg :)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have to design my own
Welcome to AAC!

By commercial counters, I meant commercially available counter IC's (CD4510, CD4029, etc).

If you're really supposed to design the counters, what type of flip flop are you supposed to use?

But I have one more question
I want to show the second 7-segment too.
That circuit won't be very helpful. Your hours are 45 minutes, and the hours display only has 5 states. LED1 is used to display an 'A' or 'P', and the clock decrements at night.

AZOO

Joined Jun 22, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

By commercial counters, I meant commercially available counter IC's (CD4510, CD4029, etc).

If you're really supposed to design the counters, what type of flip flop are you supposed to use?

That circuit won't be very helpful. Your hours are 45 minutes, and the hours display only has 5 states. LED1 is used to display an 'A' or 'P', and the clock decrements at night.
I am using the program called LogicWorks.
In this program I think they dosen't support counters like CD4510 and ect...
these are the counter that i can use in logic works.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
these are the counter that i can use in logic works.
Since you can use counter blocks, you aren't really designing any counters; you're just slinging gates.

I assume the counters that have an UP input are up/down counters. Which are BCD/decade and which are binary counters? Are they all synchronous?

Post the schematic of what you have so far and tell us what is or isn't working.

I can't help you with any simulator questions because it isn't free.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014

implement a digital clock by team collaboration using Logicworks.

You should implement following functions using 7 seven-segment displays with two switches. LED1, LED2, LED3, LED4, LED4, LED5, and LED6. If you do not follow this layout, you cannot get any point.
- SW0 is used to switch modes following the sequence: time, and alarm clock
1. LED 5-6 (seconds) These are used to display seconds. The unit of second is modulus 2. When it reaches 60 (0,2,4, …, 58) the minute will increase by 1 at daytime(A) and decrease by 1 at nighttime(P).
2. LED 3-4 (minutes) These are used to display minutes. The minute increase/decrease by one at every 60 seconds. One hour is 45 minutes. At day time minute increases 0, 1, 2, …, 45 and at night time it decreases 45, 44, 43,…,0. Make sure you have switch to insert any value.
3. LED 2 (hour) This is used to display hour. This is a single number and the hour increases by one(in 45 min hour will increase 1). Make sure to have a switch to insert any value. The hour has 5 states starts at 00.
4. LED 1 (hour) Display A for day time and P for night time. Make sure to have a switch to insert any value.
- Setting: users can set to any desired AM/PM, an hour, a minute, but not a second or millisecond. In this mode, users can set AM/PM first. If SW1 is pushed on, users can set an hour. If SW1 is again on, users can set a minute. If SW1 is pushed again, users can set AM/PM, and so on. - Alarm Clock: In this mode, initially all LEDs display at 0:0:00:00. If In this mode, users can set AM/PM first. If SW1 is pushed on, users can set an hour. If SW1 is again on, users can set a minute. If SW1 is pushed again, users can set AM/PM. If SW0 is pushed the alarm clock will store the inserted time and go back to the regular clock.
Hello,

I can help you in words, but you have to do the design yourself i would think or at least try to do that.

In words, you figure out how to design three types of counters:
1. Modulo 6
2. Modulo 10
3. Modulo 2 and 3 for 12 hour clocks, modulo 3 and 4 for 24 hour clocks.

These two types are used for hours, minutes, and seconds alike, and you can even do tenths of a second or even tenths and hundredths of a second.
The units digits always use modulo 10 and the tens always use modulo 6, except the left most digit which either has to go 0 to 1 for a 12 hour clock or 0 to 2 for a 24 hour military clock, and the second from the left digit which either goes from 0 to 2 or from 0 to 3. The 12 hour clock may or may not show AM and PM which is really modulo 2 also but you may just use a single bright LED to show that status.

What you end up doing is stringing the counters all together so that the seconds feed the minutes, the minutes feed the hours, and the hours may feed the AM PM indicator counter which can just be a single flip flop.

The max count for a 12 hour clock is:
12:59:59
and for 24 hour clock is:
23:59:59
and if you want to use hundredths it would be:
12:59:59.99
or:
23:59:59.99
or you could go up higher on the hours for stop watch function:
99:59:59:99

and from those you should be able to figure out which counters have to be mod 10 and which mod 6 and which mod 2 or 3.

What you could do to start is to make a block diagram and the show that here, then we can take it from there. All you have to do is show what counter types you will use for each stage.
You do have to decide in advance what type of clock you want to design, 12 or 24 hours or stop watch or some combination of those. You may even want to include a day count that spans several days or you may even want to get into a calendar display showing day of week but that takes a bit more logic than is described above because you have to consider the number days of each month and leap year and that kind of thing.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
In words, you figure out how to design three types of counters:
1. Modulo 6
2. Modulo 10
3. Modulo 2 and 3 for 12 hour clocks, modulo 3 and 4 for 24 hour clocks.
Did you read the problem?
  1. He's using ready made counter blocks.
  2. The clock isn't 12 hour or 24 hour.
  3. Seconds counts by 2 (0,2,4, …, 58).
  4. Minutes counts to 45 (0, 1, 2, …, 45).
  5. Hour is displayed on one digit and is modulo 5 (0..4).
  6. The 6th digit displays an "A" or "P".
  7. The clock counts down during PM.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A word of caution. You're going to be doing most of the work and, for the most part, the pace will be dictated by you. Don't wait until the last minute and let your team down.

When is this assignment due and how have you divided work among your team?