Difficultry removing MediaTek MT6631N with Hot Air Soldering

OfficerJenny

Joined Jan 14, 2024
new to hot air solder but been watching content on repairs for years.

Ive set my Temp to 350c with a fine nozzle to focus air, using flux paste, and circular motions.
First attempt to move it around 15 seconds, then 20, then 30, after 40 seconds I stopped as im concerned it may end up doing damage.
The ic will not move.

What is likely my problem?
I also have a soldering iron, should I try that?

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 19-20-03 71z2BuuKLuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (JPEG Image 1500 × 1438 pixels).pngScreenshot 2024-01-20 at 19-12-21 9.58£ 10pcs Mt6631n Wifi Ic For Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Honor 9a...png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What is likely my problem?
A nozzle that applies air to all four sides of the component at the same time might help. If you somehow manage to remove the component with only hot air, you'll have similar problems trying to get solder to flow under the large ground pad of the replacement part.

If components are only on one side of the board, you could try using a hot plate. That's going to melt solder on all components, so don't bump the board when removing and replacing the component if you go that route.

Professional equipment makes it easier to rework components in that style of package.

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
Hi,
Try to heat the underside of the pcb at the same time.
It's all a game of practice and experiment.
Some good stuff on YouTube.
Good luck..........

super7800

Joined Apr 3, 2019
try again, but practice on a dead computer motherboard. computer motherboards often have large ground sinking, which could be part of your problem (PCB soaking up heat). i tend to use some tacky flux (the yellow stuff), low airflow, high heat (as long as you remove the part fast enough risk of damage is minimal), and a small nozzle. while heating, i gently pry at one side of the part, not trying to lift the whole part, more like a crowbar. practice is key.

for single-sided boards i have used a very flat hotplate to preheat it. this can help immensely, especially with boards with large thermal sinking.