Diagnosis advice needed!

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
I have this device called an "icush". It is a seat cussion with message motors and audio speakers in it with an attached controller for the following functions:
Power
Audio Sync
Message mode
Speed
Intensity

It runs off an a 12VAC adapter.

The adapter seems OK, it measures at least 12V and does not cut in or out when moving the wire around.

When I plug the power adapter into the seat pad the motors and audio are energized for about 1 second then it stops. When I remove the power from the seat pad there is about a 1 second delay and then there is a very quick recurrence of audio, but not enough to cause the motors to move.

After opening the controller unit I was greeted with a host of led's, momentary switches, a handfull of resistors, and 1 IC chip.

I don't think there's anything but motors and 2 speakers in the cussion, based on my touching the seat pad all over.

Any ideas on what might be causing this??

Appreciate your thoughts.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Measure the power adapter's voltage under full load and see if it decays.
Sounds reasonable, but I did find out some more details about it.

1) There is an electronic unit in the seat cushion itself which I did not expect.
2) With an 7 pin connector removed from this board both audio and motors turn on and stay on.
3) While playing if I connect the 7 pin connector the audio and motors stop.
4) This 7 pin connector is consistent with a 7pin connector on the corded controller, which has all the feature adjustments.

I think I need to check continuity on both ends of this connector and then go from there.

I will post these findings a bit later.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The 7 pin connector in question seems to be working fine and there isn't much else in the controller, a couple of caps and resistors that visually appear OK.
All resistors read accurate values except one. A 33K reads about 18K.
There is one IC, HOLTEK HT48R10A-1 (8-bit Microcontroller). Pin 16 is VDD and does have 5V between this pin and ground.

The power source for the hand controller is powered from the 7 pin connector which comes from the seat cushion circuitry. The voltage with or without audio and motors is 13.89VAV.