Device repair 3.5mm spring pins

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by HellTriX, Oct 21, 2014.

1. HellTriX

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I was given a device and asked if I could repair it. So I took a look and I have some ideas on how to fix it but I wanted to see if maybe there was a better option or idea before I dive into trying something new myself.
    In the picture you can see the bare wires I believe them to be some sort of brass wire shaped to make contact with a 3.5mm plug inserted into the side (the nearest one being broken off). Can these pins be purchased somewhere? I was thinking if I could not find them I would attempt to find a similar wire and try to shape a new one myself.
    2014-10-21 18.38.50.jpg

If I can't manage to find replacement pins and/or make my own an alternative option may be to replace the wire contacts with a breakout board fitted with 3.5mm boards. However; The cord that plugs into this is a parallel 3.5mm plug with a specific distance between the jacks which might be hard to duplicate using two 3.5mm female receptacles.

Thanks for any advice.

2. HellTriX

Apr 11, 2008
    As it turns out one jack is 3,5mm and the other is the smaller 2.5mm jack. Which makes me hope there is a way to replace the pins. 2014-10-21 18.49.02.jpg The pins seem to be made of the same spring like material that makes contact with AA and AAA batteries (those spiral spring contacts). What material is this?

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I would look at using some non-flux coated Silver Solder rod of the same gauge to manuf. one if necessary, it has just about all the qualities you need, it is spring like, highly conductive, solderable and easily formed.
    Max.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. HellTriX

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks, I will look to see if I have some to try.
    I was just doing a bit of research on work hardening brass, bronze, etc, so it seems like I am getting closer to a workable solution.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    hobby shops have brass wire and spring steel wire, maybe that would help.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    BTW the S.S. is 40% Silver, 40% Tin, 14% Copper, 6%Zinc.
    Max.

7. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I'd use a paperclip :)
    Or I'd find the whole part/jack and just buy a new one and desolder/solder..

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    If it is holding AA or AAA batteries, maybe you can pull the spring connectors from a RadioShack battery holder.

10. HellTriX

Apr 11, 2008
    I tired various metals and heat treating. Paperclip won't work. My silver solder stuff is too soft. The galvanized steel I couldn't get to harden enough to retain shape after a few insertions of the jack. So I will have to look for hobby or craft store to see if I can find something else.

As far as finding the actual parts, I wish I could, that would be idea. There really is no one part. The individuality spring wires are soldered directly to the circuit board with the case molded in such a way to help support the load on the pins. Cleaver design despite being difficult to repair/service.

11. HellTriX

Apr 11, 2008
    Great idea, I will see if I have any battery holders to scavenge.

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Must be a lot different composition than the one I use?:confused:
    Max.

13. HellTriX

Apr 11, 2008
    I thought I would give a little update. I have made the repairs. I bought a couple different types of wire from a craft section of a store for making jewelry. The type that worked best was this type of wire called memory wire for making bracelets and earrings.
    Pictures:
    2014-11-05 17.25.42.jpg
    2014-11-06 01.29.25.jpg

wayneh likes this.