Device Powering with the USB Type C

Nanda Kumar 1

Joined Aug 25, 2016
Hi Every One ,

There is scenario where I have to use the USB C type adapter for my application device ( Microcontroller and Servo motor ) which draw a 5V and 1.8 A power max.

I tried connecting the USB C type adapter but I observed below points

a) I'm only getting the 480mA current through the USB C type adapter
b) I have connected the pulldown resister 5.1kohms to the CC1 and CC2 pins but there is no change in the Current ( Getting only 500mA max)
Note :
1) I'm using the proper USB C adapter which support up to 30W with various combination 5V,9V,15V
2) I'm using the 4 wire USB C connector ( Vbus, Gnd , D+ and D-)

Please suggest me how to get the more current from the USB C power adapter

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
You need to look at the up stream source and figure out what its capabilities are. I believe to get the higher power levels from USB-C, some active negotiation is required, and not all upstream devices support the higher power levels. Your downstream device also needs to support it. The USB PD (Power Delivery) spec is what you're after. Here is a good place to start: https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd

pommeverte

Joined Apr 8, 2023
You should be able to draw up to 3A without PD.
Is the charger USB-C? It might conform to the USB Type-C Current Advertisement mechanism. If it can't do this successfully, it might just default to USB 2 specs (500mA). From the Microchip Application Note 1953:
Both the upstream facing port and the downstream facing port must monitor the voltage on the CC1 and CC2 pins to determine if a valid Rp/Rd or Rp/Ra connection has been made
In your case, this might not be happening because your USB cable doesn't run a CC wire?
If you have a USB cable assembly with 5+ wires ( Vbus, Gnd , D+, D-, and CC) maybe you can test that to see if you're seeing the proper power draw.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That "USB-C" adapter has specifications, and if that specification does not describe an available current rating adequate for your application, that adapter can not supply it.
In addition, many USB cables do not have wire sizes adequate for more than 500 MILLIamps.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That "USB-C" adapter has specifications, and if that specification does not describe an available current rating adequate for your application, that adapter can not supply it.
In addition, many USB cables do not have wire sizes adequate for more than 500 MILLIamps.
Hey, @MisterBill2 the USB Type-C certainly does provide for that much current and considerably more. As the TS pointed out, the resistors on the CC1 and CC2 pins signal to the adapter what sort of current the device wants. By default the standard calls for a power supply to provide no more than the standard USB 5V@500mA but with the resistors in place, the device can request up to 3A!

The table below lists the options...
1681742288667.png
[source]​

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suspect that many older and some newer devices with USB ports do not include tat arrangement. Certainly none of my computers are intended to be power supplies. Using a USB port as a power source is fairly recent. Certainly legacy devices made prior to this scheme will not provide these functions.
Not everybody immediately trashes equipment and buys new just because of some feature being added.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
It's one thing for the specifications to support specific features, it's another thing for those features to actually be implemented by any given device. Not every device with a USB-C port fully supports every USB-C feature.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I suspect that many older and some newer devices with USB ports do not include tat arrangement. Certainly none of my computers are intended to be power supplies. Using a USB port as a power source is fairly recent. Certainly legacy devices made prior to this scheme will not provide these functions.
Not everybody immediately trashes equipment and buys new just because of some feature being added.
Do your computers have Type-C connectors? Do they support PD (many do!). If they use Type-C they are either going to negotiate basic 5V power or some level of PD. If they aren’t Type-C they aren’t relevant, are they?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It's one thing for the specifications to support specific features, it's another thing for those features to actually be implemented by any given device. Not every device with a USB-C port fully supports every USB-C feature.
No, but every compliant device has enough implemented to do whatever is intended. Not all Type-C chargers offer PD but they can still offer various quick charge arrangements. When a device is connected, a robust negotiation ensues and the capabilities and needs of the two are sorted.

Sometimes it just doesn’t work because a feature needed isn’t present. But, PD is powering notebooks computers, monitors, cameras, and many other things by the many thousands today.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
NO, my computers do not have "type C" USB connectors. In addition, noway would I use a computer as a battery charger or as a utility power supply. For the price of even a cheap actualcomputer, one can buy a whole lot of power supplies and battery chargers, and if any of those are damaged the loss is orders of magnitude less.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
NO, my computers do not have "type C" USB connectors. In addition, noway would I use a computer as a battery charger or as a utility power supply. For the price of even a cheap actualcomputer, one can buy a whole lot of power supplies and battery chargers, and if any of those are damaged the loss is orders of magnitude less.
You aren’t even discussing the same world as Type-C, @MisterBill2.