Developing applications utilizing public domain NASA-sponsored flight software core flight system

Are you interested in developing subsystems for Cubesat / small satellite (SmallSat) applications?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, later in 2017

• No, not at this time

• No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

S Haque

Joined Jan 2, 2017
Hi AAC embedded systems community - I had an opportunity a few years ago to develop flight hardware involving switched mode power regulation, power switching for a Cubesat mission. Then, as I didn't know better, I chose Netburner hardware (coldfire 5720, 55414 etc.), which had to be accommodated in full as a daughter board on my main Cubesat spec. compliant PCB carrier board - taking up extra space, mass, additional non-mission related electrical energy etc. and ultimately the "flight" software grew out of test software developed for that environment and the particular RTOS that the developer provided - no changes were made to the operating system environment. Well I'm interested to learn about the cFS environment sponsored by NASA/GSFC - and see many older threads about RTEMS which is one of the operating systems that the cFS abstraction layer works with.

Discussion welcome on any user experiences/developer experiences upto 2016. If you are planning to use it, how much time do you think a medium-experienced hardware developer team (different embedded systems, different operating environment) should plan to invest in the setup and development to first prototype hardware that runs on an independent target, say coldfire MCPU based.

Reference: https://cfs.gsfc.nasa.gov (I am uploading an older presentation I found, for community awareness); The abstraction layer document is also here, out of date. I'm looking for newer documentation.

By the way, if anyone has questions about developing flight hardware for Cubesat platforms feel free to ask (current open standard : http://www.cubesat.org/s/cds_rev13_final2.pdf)

Attachments