Desperately need help designing thermocouple circuit

Wehan

Joined Oct 26, 2012
Hi All,

I have to design a thermocouple circuit using a K-Type thermocouple. The output should be 4-20 mA(4 mA at 25degrees Celcius and 20 mA at 40 degrees Celcius). I can just use my multimeter to measure the output current. Apparently there is a simple current follower circuit that I can build to achieve the desired 4-20 mA output, using only one thermocouple. I have been reading for a full day and decided to join this blog after realizing that the task at hand might be more complicated than I thaught,

Any advice or circuit diagrams?

Help would be much appreciated!

Wehan

Joined Oct 26, 2012
Thanx for replying Bill, but I have to design the circuit myself and I am not allowed to use the AD595AQ IC...

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Thanx for replying Bill, but I have to design the circuit myself and I am not allowed to use the AD595AQ IC...
Oooh ouch. your professor is a sadist?

1) read up a bit on the thermoelectric effect, this knowledge will come in real handy.

2) read the data sheets for chips that are designed for this application, this will help you to understand what the problems are, which is half way to the solution.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Sorry, I didn't realize this was homework since it was posted in the Projects section. Maybe a moderator can move it to the proper section and you may get more help.