Desoldering tweezer

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Does anyone know whether these desoldering tweezers from MPJA (40W) can simply be powered from a Variac or Variac-stepdown transformer combination?

Of course, I don't expect feedback temperature control, but the 25W Weller that I used for years didn't have that either.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Bump. Here's a little more information. I couldn't find anything about "typical" connections on the web.

The connector is 5 pin in an arc. The center pin is connected to ground and the metal sleeve on the tips.

Pins 1 and 2 show about 5 ohms when cold, which increases to 8.5 ohms when a heat gun is applied to either tip.

Pins 4 and 5 show about 2 ohms cold and zero mV, but on application of heat to one tip (but not the other), I get a mV reading of up to about 6 mV using hot, but not soldering temperature air from a heat gun.

The tweezers are labeled 48W/24V.

Can I assume pins 1 and 2 are power and the power is 24VAC?

For my purpose, I don't need temp regulation -- at least not right now. The handle on my temperature regulated soldering iron is not connected with a plug, so to test it would require disassembly.

John

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
To me it sounds like pins 1 & 2 are power ,prob. either AC or DC at about 3A. I use a Variac with a 110 to 24 V transformer for foam cutting, also gives some V protection.; supose twezer tips are grounded.