Designing a plasma arc circuit but need some help

Rainicangel

Joined Dec 7, 2019
Hey guys new to the forum here and had a couple questions on creating a plasma arc that works well enough to light things. Now I'm fairly new to electrical lighters using plasma but have about 2 years of electronic and computer experience. Ok so my main question is I have a couple transformers and inductors as well as some transistors and mosfet caps etc... basically everything I would need in order to build the circuit I want but I'm having trouble getting it together right or something idk. Today I found this T.13 transformer in an old disposable camera flash and I was wondering if it would be possible to take the transformer and the small little (inductor?) Along with some other components to get the desired plasma arc. I'll provide pics of the transformers. Also feel free to say that they are garbage and cant b used if they cant lol I'm here to learn so any and all tips and advice is much appreciated. Or if I can use them what would I need to wire into the circuit with them to make the arc. Thanks guys :) also I have the igniter from a ignition coil if that is useful at all in the project.

Attachments

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
1) What is aim, using for
2) What is expected power (Watts)
3) What is expected frequency - DC, 50 Hz, 20 kHz, 13 MHz, 100 MHz, 2400 MHz etc)
4) What is expected plasma pressure (atmospheric; 1-10 Torr, less than 0,1 Torr)
5) What is expected plasma balance (ie other words the temperature) - 10 000 C; 1000 C; 100 C; 10 C
Otherhow every of us will speak about completely different plasmas.

Rainicangel

Joined Dec 7, 2019
Ah I see I apologize for the unspecific question in the first post everyone:) ok so
1. My aim in this is to create a working plasma lighter (no not because of or like youtube videos which, from what I gather, would all be pointless to watch anyways unless you could find the specific transformer that the person is using as well as transistor etc) but because I have a ton of spare components from old psus and modems etc etc.
2. As far as wattage is concerned for the input voltage something between 1.5-3.7 would be ideal due to on hand supply. So the watts should be anywhere from .75-1.0
3. As far as frequency I know that it needs to be a low frequency not quite sure as to exact amount maybe some help here?
4.again I'm going to assume that the application I intend to use it for is going to be atmospheric
5.operational temp should be around 1100c

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Lighter You mean the electronic "safety match"? Then we speak about atmospheric plasma with no carrier gas. Thus may forget about any high power devices like DC or RF arc, may forget about ICP, may forget about spark. One possibility is 1-20 MHz range high voltage oscillator coil with add-on multiplicative branching. Normally it is rather big installation, but the plasma ball is impressive. Other is microwave plasma ball I had been linked the publications here somewhere this year. Yet it is rather balanced plasma it means hot, but ball is some 3-5 mm large and well concentrated. Next is RF corona having far unbalanced plasma thus being rather cold type of.
The circuitry for experimentation in less than 100 MHz scale is reduced Clapp oscillator on basis of IXFH42N60 (the must be is +/-40V Vgs max. This circuit gives a serial resonance thus the coil voltage is heavy kilovolts range from Vcc=24...28V only.
However, if the need is just to start burning I would very much pressing to have a 1 GHz microwave device like in the link. The fire happen between both "antennas". The IC seen in picture for Your case is 100% unneeded.

Attachments

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""As far as frequency I know that it needs to be a low frequency"" The atmospheric low freq plasma is impossible beyound few hundreds to thousands of KILOWATTS except the sparks and corona. Okay, arc too. Secondly, the low freq plasma ir very unbalanced, means electronic temperature hardly differs from ionic temperature. It means the plasma of the feel by finger feels SLIGHT warm but not hot. You need to have both things contrary, thus the microwave plasma is best for it.