design questions about core logic chipset Northbridge IC

VictorX6799

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello everyone.

Does anyone have any intimate knowledge of the design layout of the core logic Northbridge chipset found on computer motherboards ?
Does this IC have a processor core or simply a core ? Would it have just a single core or multi cores ? Does the core get loaded into memory by a boot loader ? If in general an IC has multi cores then would it be required to have one boot loader for each core ? Is it possible to located on die a core based on the boot loader's code ? If not then how does the boot loader locate and load a core ?

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are no cores or processing units inside a Northbridge. It is just an interface between the CPU and the highest speed components in the system. It responds to FSB transactions based on address bits and control signals.

VictorX6799

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Papabravo thank you. Apparently I have discovered from another source that ALL IC do have cores including the NB. I have understood that the NB has a logic core unlike SoC and MCU which are called processor cores. But I do appreciate the response.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The problem is that the term "core" is overloaded just like operators can be overloaded in C++. To me a "core" is a synonym for a processing unit that executes instructions form a program store. The architecture can be Harvard or Princeton, but a sea of interconnected gates does not meet my definition of a core regardless of other usages. My view may not be universally accepted, but at least you are aware that it is the subject of debate.

Further, I reject the notion that all IC's have cores. That is just plain wrong.

See cores used to be tiny magnetic doughnuts with wires strung through them to make some of the earliest non-volitile read write memories. Ask your little friends about them if they can remember them.