Dell Tv Speaker output static not working, Help please

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I need help figuring out why the speaker output on the Dell Tv isn't working. With volume up or down doesn't matter, it's static that comes out of the tv speaker output to the speakers. The Tv doesn't have internal speakers. Only external. I shot a video showing the problem. After I showed it, then now the tv is only outputting audio to the left channel. Sure, I could hook up the right speaker to the left channel, but I would like both channels to be working. I was thinking that maybe it's something as replacing a bad capacitor inside the Dell TV.

Dell LCD TV W3706C.

The Video : https://youtu.be/xfXd4r8G3V0

1. Tried different speakers. Same Results.
2. The Speakers hook up the the Dell TV Directly. No in-between amplifier.
3. All Connections are clean. No splits, no frays, no shorts, Solid connection.
4. The left channel/speaker now works. But not the right channel/speaker.
5. There's a pop when the Speaker Output is enabled threw the Dell Television.
6. Measured the speaker hiss/static with 6000 counts DMM, 300Khz, 1M+ resistance.

Please watch the whole video. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
You need to do some troubleshooting. First thing I don't know is if the speakers you're using have their own audio amplifier. If so then I'd suspect the problem has to do with the speaker system and not the TV. If, however, the speakers connect directly to the TV without the use of an amplifier then the problem more likely has to do with the TV itself. But don't discount the possibility of a loose or damaged plug or wire(s). If the speakers are plugged directly into the TV (no amplifier) then try plugging a different speaker into the TV and see if it works. Could be a bad plug; could be a bad wire. You're definitely getting AC hum, what you're calling static.

The best way to find the problem is to prove what is not a problem. If you don't have another speaker to plug in, then plug that speaker into a different audio source, a cell phone or a stereo system. If the speaker works elsewhere but not on the TV, or if the right speaker doesn't work on the left side then it's definitely the TV where the problem originates.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I need help figuring out why the speaker output on the Dell Tv isn't working. With volume up or down doesn't matter, it's static that comes out of the tv speaker output to the speakers. The Tv doesn't have internal speakers. Only external. I shot a video showing the problem. After I showed it, then now the tv is only outputting audio to the left channel. Sure, I could hook up the right speaker to the left channel, but I would like both channels to be working. I was thinking that maybe it's something as replacing a bad capacitor inside the Dell TV.

Dell LCD TV W3706C.

The Video : https://youtu.be/xfXd4r8G3V0

1. Tried different speakers. Same Results.
2. The Speakers hook up the the Dell TV Directly. No in-between amplifier.
3. All Connections are clean. No splits, no frays, no shorts, Solid connection.
4. The left channel/speaker now works. But not the right channel/speaker.
5. There's a pop when the Speaker Output is enabled threw the Dell Television.

Please watch the whole video. Thanks.
You need to do some troubleshooting. First thing I don't know is if the speakers you're using have their own audio amplifier. If so then I'd suspect the problem has to do with the speaker system and not the TV. If, however, the speakers connect directly to the TV without the use of an amplifier then the problem more likely has to do with the TV itself. But don't discount the possibility of a loose or damaged plug or wire(s). If the speakers are plugged directly into the TV (no amplifier) then try plugging a different speaker into the TV and see if it works. Could be a bad plug; could be a bad wire. You're definitely getting AC hum, what you're calling static.

The best way to find the problem is to prove what is not a problem. If you don't have another speaker to plug in, then plug that speaker into a different audio source, a cell phone or a stereo system. If the speaker works elsewhere but not on the TV, or if the right speaker doesn't work on the left side then it's definitely the TV where the problem originates.
Both speakers have nothing wrong with them. I plugged the right speaker joined with the left channel/speaker, and both work. So it's the right channel on the Tv. I don't know if the fuse on the right channel blew, or what, but the only way it seems now is to open the tv and take a look inside and see what it looks like. I'm hoping that maybe the right channel hookup posts are loose or something simple like that. Save myself $150 from going out and buying a stereo receiver for the audio. Besides just hooking the right speaker to the joined left channel/speaker.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Since we know it's the TV output on the right side then the fix is going to be inside the TV. No, it's not a fuse. Not going to be that easy. Since the volume doesn't change on that channel then it could be a problem with the pre-amplification stage or it could be the amplifier final stage. In short, you're going to have to track down the problem. If your TV has an audio board then it might be easier (or easy enough) to replace the board outright.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Since we know it's the TV output on the right side then the fix is going to be inside the TV. No, it's not a fuse. Not going to be that easy. Since the volume doesn't change on that channel then it could be a problem with the pre-amplification stage or it could be the amplifier final stage. In short, you're going to have to track down the problem. If your TV has an audio board then it might be easier (or easy enough) to replace the board outright.
I'll check the solder connections, test the audio board, or do a little more research on how exactly I'll troubleshoot the board inside the tv.

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely open the tv up latter, and take a closer look.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Save myself $150 from going out and buying a stereo receiver for the audio.
Since you already have speakers, you could get a low-power (10-20W) stereo amp for much less than that. The TV amp likely has no more than 10W output power.
Check Amazon or Ebay.
Might be easier than trying to fix the TV.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Most TV's of this nature use a single stereo amplifier IC, there are several used such as TDA7292, TDA1521 etc.
On ebay you can get one on a whole board if you have to intercept the audio and use one of these.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I'm definitely not the audio expert here, but since it's a hum I wouldn't think it was a bad solder joint. More likely to be a short of some kind preventing signal from getting through. The hum suggests a diode, but it could be a cap as well. OR the worst case (for the board) would be the amplifier chip itself. I don't think I could accomplish troubleshooting of the board without some dedicated equipment like a signal generator. But again, I'm not the expert here.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Thanks for all the helpful replies on this. I don't have the skills, let alone the equipment to even open the tv. I have torx bits and everything, unscrewed the tv and it's almost impossible it seems to get a look. So I'll just hook up the right to the left channel and do it that way for now until I get a stereo receiver. for the PC or laptop audio output.