Dell Opteplex 760 won't wakeup

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What are the symptoms? What version are you running?

My Win10 desktop, also a Dell, is doing okay, so far, but it hasn't updated to 2004.

I started having problems with my laptop the end of last month. Some botched Win10 updates is what I figure. My laptop would fail with a BSOD when trying to resume from sleep, sometimes when trying to sleep. I usually can't boot with the battery installed.

Could be the laptop, but some problems seem to be getting better. Only get a BSOD when resuming from sleep every once in awhile now. The update to 2004 was a disaster. It mucked up my home directory and when I changed the directory in the registry, it deleted all of the files in that directory (fortunately I had 90% of the 300GB of data deleted on backup, but I lost 20GB of data that I'd've preferred not to). I'm back on 1909 now, but Microsoft is going to push 2004 to more computers because they don't like how many people are staying on older versions.

If you're not doing regular backups, now would be a time to do so. I learned my lesson. Now I backup important work every day to another computer on the network. Have automatic backups on XP, migrated to my Dell desktop, but haven't gotten around to checking it to make sure it works (because Microsoft took away the commands I was using on XP and I had to convert it to Linux).

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
My somewhat old i7-7700 (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, 4.2GHz) runs Win10 latest releases fine. Only issue I'm dealing with is Edge which I am running the latest Beta release of. It has issues so Chrome is better. New Edge is incorporating Chromes open software slowing trying to get to where Chrome is now. Don't want to segue this thread too far afield but there are some USB drives being sold that boot up the computer on some version of Unix/Linux? and have open software apps purporting to boot extremely fast and run fast. How much baloney they are selling I dunno...

Metal_Horse

Joined Jun 15, 2020
Just started doing this in the last few days. Have to restart to get it going. Win 10 Pro. Any help appreciated.
Have you been in the motherboard bios in any recent memory?
The Optiplex 760 is a very old system by todays standards, using Intel's Socket 775 with usually a Core 2 Duo CPU.
This to me suggests that your power supply is over a decade old meaning it could be showing signs of lowered usability and reliability.

My suggestion is to back up any pertinent data and move to a newer system.

Let us know if you need any help with selecting parts or looking for a new system.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Some of the problem could be what, if any, add-on hardware you have in that machine. Dell machines usually came with a small PSU, one just large enough to run the system, maybe with one more disk drive. Often they would not support an add-on video card, at least not a large one (50W or less).
All computer power supplies "age" a bit over time, and that reduces their capacity. If your system was running near maximum, it is possible one or more of the voltages are starting to droop under load. That can cause startup problems, when the first power surge comes on. Also, some of the PSU capacitors may be bulging (failing), causing the PSU to not start up at all (other than a startup "blip".
Dell power supplies are somewhat standard in the mini-tower desktops, but custom in the smaller cases (those are not easily upgradable). If you have a minitower desktop, try to borrow/buy a new power supply (verify the physical size matches) and see if that fixes the power on issue. If not, then it could be something else. If it starts but does not get to the BIOS, listen for the fault code "beeps", that will usually tell you where there is a fault. Common problem is bad RAM.

Good luck