Dell Latitude D505 power brick.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Recently I won a Dell Latitude D505 (pp10L) but no power brick (PA10 or PA12). It was probably discarded for a reason, so I'm not going to spend any money on it.

Does anyone have a link to the power jack pin out and what voltage?

If I get desperate enough, I might try charging the battery pack standalone, just to find out whether the laptop fires up at all. But after all the warnings I've given others about messing with lithium batteries - I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Obviously a functioning laptop would make it worth checking prices for a replacement power brick.

Thanks.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have one.... It is a model HP-AF065B83, 65W, 19.5V @ 3.34A. Mine works with either 12Vdc or AC input (different power cords)...

Triaxial plug. Pin is ? (I think no connection)
Outer sleeve is -
Inside of inner sleeve is +

Last edited:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the charging circuit is in the laptop. the brick is just a pwm switcher. the input voltage is marked on the case of the laptop beside the power jack. a lot of those were 18.5 volt input, but there was a range of input voltages they would work with.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I also "won" a Dell computer because the owner bought an off-brand power brick. Caveat Emptor.
Proper brick = proper computer = I win.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Recently I won a Dell Latitude D505 (pp10L) but no power brick (PA10 or PA12). It was probably discarded for a reason, so I'm not going to spend any money on it.

Does anyone have a link to the power jack pin out and what voltage?

If I get desperate enough, I might try charging the battery pack standalone, just to find out whether the laptop fires up at all. But after all the warnings I've given others about messing with lithium batteries - I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Obviously a functioning laptop would make it worth checking prices for a replacement power brick.

Thanks.
I have a couple dell power packs laying around here but are U.S. voltage..

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Dell power bricks include a serial chip that "talks" to the laptop. Without this chip, the batteries won't be allowed to charge. I learnt this when I knocked my laptop off the table, and broke the serial wire. Now, I'm using a power brick from an older Dell, works fine.