Deleted Post?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
i received notification that one of my posts was deleted. I was curious as to what I posted, so I wouldn't make the same mistake in the future. Worse, I cannot remember even making any additional posts in that specific thread. So I want to know what it was that triggered the problem?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You are a prolific contributor, there are a lot of posts to look though. To narrow it down, approximately when did you receive notice of the post being removed.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
As someone that's had many posts deleted, this is what upsets me too. The mods take the time to delete, but don't even give you the courtesy of say who deleted your post, let alone why. We can't post anonymously, but they can delete anonymously. With a mods name we can at least explain why or what we said, by PMing the mod.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The mods take the time to delete, but don't even give you the courtesy of say who deleted your post, let alone why. .
I agree, In one I recently had edited there was no comment or notification.
There is a certain cadre of posters here that put their time in responding to posts and help give this Forum the status it has, without any consideration of reward apart from the satisfaction of attempting to help those seeking it.
Therefore I would think that they would deserve the respect of a reason and/or notification.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@MaxHeadRoom , I was notified that the post was deleted. But no contact person nor any explanation. If that were not the case, this entire thread wouldn't be necessary. But it was the only way I could communicate with the mods

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I think what happens sometimes is that some newbie to the site posts the same stuff to two forums. The mods then delete the duplicated forum stuff, resulting in any follow-up posts in an affected thread being deleted too.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The number of non-spam posts that get deleted is actually pretty small.

There is an optional box when a post is deleted to inform the author of the reason. I try to always use it, since once a post is deleted it hard for us to go back and find it (if we don't know the exact thread it was in). I don't know if the alert includes the identity of the mod that took the action or not. Admins might have access to query tools that can generate useful reports on the history of deleted posts, but I'm not aware of any tools available to the mods.

Perhaps the largest single cause of non-spam posts being deleted are due to a violating post being made by one member that has several responses to it; when the violating post is deleted the responses now have no context within the thread and make no sense, thus they are also deleted (or the out-of-context material is edited out when the post also contains other content that can stay). I've had a few of my posts go bye-bye that way, even recently. When I've been the one pruning the thread (and I doubt that I've done it even half a dozen times since I became a mod) I use the notification feature to say something like, "Response to deleted post; loss of context".

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think that's what happened to my post. The OP had made a comment that was irrelevant and vague. I had called him out on it with a rhetorical question, If his post were deleted (which it was) without context my response was nonsensical.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The MOD-log shows who deleted the post.
You only see the threadname and postnumber in the log.
Also you can see that no reason was given.

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
@WBahn , I have a black bar above the orange menu.(you also should have that as moderator).
In there I see the text Mod Log Items.
When I click that a new page opens.(this is the Moderator CP).
On that page there is a button with the text: Log Search Options.
When you press that button the search options are shown.

Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ah. I see it now. For some reason I think I had come to the conclusion that it only showed immediate stuff -- I think I was thinking of the Moderation tool.

Can we look back further than 7 days?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have not found a way to look further back than 7 days.
I have looked in the admin panel and 30 days should be the maximum days back.
Perhaps @jrap knows a way to look further back.

Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Based on the log for the past seven days, and assuming it is representative, there are about three posts a day that get deleted for all reasons combined (though this doesn't appear to include entire threads that are deleted, which is usually the case for spammers). Most do not have a reason given, but duplicates is pretty common among those that do.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wouldn't it be easy to just add a signature to the "post deleted" notice? It would only have to be done once for each mod that has the power.