DDR4 Memory Stick shorted any Chance to repair?

Plermpel

Joined Oct 15, 2019
Hello,

I registered here because I've a problem you maybe can help me with.
A LED strip in my computer fall down because the glue didn't hold the temperature,
It felt directly on a PIN of the meomry socket on the back of the mainboard, since then one memory module is defective.
It have been shorted or even worst maybe it got 5V from the RGB header shortly.

So the RAM module doesn't look that complicated , few Resistors, few memory modules, I think some opto couplers, tiny microcontroller and a few transistors for the RGB, but the lightning is still working, just BIOS Post Error.

So my question is, does anyone of you guys know if there is a protective resisor or something like that on a usual DDR4 PCB, that could have been blown?

Thank you for the help,

Greetings,

Plermpel

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Could you show your best picture of the damages? Take it under daylight but with no sun shining on it.

Have you any experience with SMD? Can you obtain the replacements in small quantities? How much they will charge you? How much is worth your time?

I would start ordering the replacement, throw out those LED strips and move on.

Plermpel

Joined Oct 15, 2019
I have all the tools for SMD soldering at home, and my hope was to get the spare parts from any other old memory modules that I have at home, the bad news is, I measured every measurable compnonent in the circiut and all the resisors and diods seem to be fine, they do exactly the same as in the working stick so I assume that a meory chip itself is broken, and I think you can't buy those anywhere...