DC voltage regulator circuit needed

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
To the wiper of R2 which is a 3 terminal pot. Yes, using a transistor junction is preferred but they also showed the curves for the diode using it as a temperature sensor. Anyway the diode cathode is connected to the 50K potentiometer wiper.

Ron

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks, the article mentions using a diode connected bipolar transistor instead of a real diode, but the schematic explicitly shows model 1N4148 diode. What I'm confused about is where does the 1N4148 diode physically connect to R2?
"the trim pin is tied to
the wiper of a potentiometer connected between the
output and ground"

SoftwareGuy

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Ahhh got it, thanks! My confusion was I didn't recognize that R2 was a pot, I guess the little arrow for the pot symbol blended in with the diode symbol and I was looking at R2 as a standard resistor and not a pot. Now it makes perfect sense, thanks!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks, the article mentions using a diode connected bipolar transistor instead of a real diode, but the schematic explicitly shows model 1N4148 diode. What I'm confused about is where does the 1N4148 diode physically connect to R2?
It connects directly to the pot's wiper. (R2 is a potentiometer, by the way. And it's used to fine-tune the output voltage)

SoftwareGuy

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Just a follow up; I built the circuit from "Figure 10" above and it works awesome! I used a 25-turn 50k pot and it's easy to dial right in on exactly 5.000V, according to my fluke anyway so at least it's in the ballpark. Even with a small 1k ohm load the voltage didn't move at all, not even 1/1000V. I'll do some more load and temperature testing tomorrow, but I'm really happy at the moment. Thanks everyone for the help, this was a cool learning experience!

PS-> The resister + diode for temperature compensation are on the other side of the board.

5v_regulator_works.JPG

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Just a follow up; I built the circuit from "Figure 10" above and it works awesome! I used a 25-turn 50k pot and it's easy to dial right in on exactly 5.000V, according to my fluke anyway so at least it's in the ballpark. Even with a small 1k ohm load the voltage didn't move at all, not even 1/1000V. I'll do some more load and temperature testing tomorrow, but I'm really happy at the moment. Thanks everyone for the help, this was a cool learning experience!

PS-> The resister + diode for temperature compensation are on the other side of the board.

View attachment 80167
Well... what are you waiting for? Hit the "Like" button, dude! :D