DC Motor Power Amplifier issue

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BershaM, Jul 23, 2016.

1. BershaM

Thread Starter Member

Aug 22, 2011
    i built this DC motor power amplifier to drive the motor in both directions using an analog signal (from -1 volt to 1 volt via the potentiometer ) , the motor i use is rated for 24 volts and draws around 400mA at no load , however, when i tested it only one direction works fine ( the NPN TIP142 side) with no significant heat , the other side however doesn't drive the motor all the way to 10 volts and the PNP transistor becomes hot real fast, i replaced it with another tip147 but still got the same results, any idea what maybe causing this?

Update 1: I inserted a resistor in series with the PNP gate (5.1k) and it enhanced the motor's performance , however the oscillations still exist , should i also consider an RC snubber ??

[​IMG]

2. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Is C42 an electrolytic?

What does 'enhanced the motor's performance' mean?
    What oscillations? These are mentioned previously?

3. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Why are there two Op-Amps in series when one would sufice?

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Agree, I have done just about the same with a single LM311.
    Max.

5. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Agreed, but that's not the cause of the overheating problem.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I assumed it to be an incidental comment on the apparent over-engineering and not intended as a reason for the original OP's complaint?;)
    Max.

7. Ylli

Nov 13, 2015
    I'm sure the circuit does not like driving that capacitive load. Try adding a 10 ohm resistor in series with the 1 uF.

8. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I would have just used basic 5 pin power Op-Amp like an LM1875 or TDA2003 (<$2) to drive the little motor.

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Yes, in my case it was a 240vdc generator field.
    Max.

10. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    The problem is from over complicating/engineering a simple system. :p

One pot, one power Op-Amp IC, and two resistors should be all that's required a .1 uf capacitor on each power lead and across the motor.

11. BershaM

Thread Starter Member

Aug 22, 2011
    @AlbertHall 1- C42 is ceramic.
    2- enhanced its performance means it increased the motor's speed, should've explained it better sorry about that.
    3- a semi sinusoidal wave of around 5Vpp above any dc signal i apply to the circuit, measured it at the emitter and the base of the transistors.

@tcmtech i thought the first stage would act as a buffer ( obviously not :/ ) , i tried a TDA2003 at first but i always ended up overheating it and i couldn't know why , that's why i chose to do it with darlingtons.

@Ylli thanks for your feedback will try it and see if it works.

@MaxHeadRoom i know now it may have been made alot simpler , i just wanted to experiment with darlingtons :v

Should adding a cap from Pin 14 to Ground adjust the phase shift and remove the oscillations ?

12. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Did you have a properly sized heatsink on it?

A TDA2003 Power Op-Amp should have had no problems running your motor being it's rated for 3.5 amps continuous and 20 watts thermal dissipation with a properly sized heatsink which means that with your +- 15 volt power supply rail voltages it would take a solid 1.33 amps into a stalled motor to reach its thermal dissipation rating limit.

So given that, if you overheated it with a 400 ma motor load somethings not adding up here.