DC motor controller

rjjenkins

Joined Apr 16, 2011
So I have a 90V DC motor for a CNC machine. I need a controller for it. I'm not sure of the motor's power (no datasheet that I can find)
If I run it from my PSU which goes up to 30V, it draws about 0.3A

Assuming that I don't need it to go in both directions, is there any good reason why I shouldn't do this: use a stepdown transformer and bridge rectifier to give me 90V DC, and switch it on and off with a relay. Use a hefty rheostat as a voltage divider to vary the speed. Add a rectifier to guard against back EMF.

If I wanted to go a step further and control the speed with an input voltage (0-10V) could I do this with a power transistor?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You don't want to control the Motor's speed by controlling the Voltage,
this will result in an un-predictable, and sluggish, response to any Input changes.

PWM is recommended,
a lower base Frequency, ( ~100hz or less ), is better for Motor responsiveness at low RPMs.

If You don't go with a PWM-Controller for some reason,
then the next best method is an Adjustable-Current-Controller,
which are also extremely easy to build.

If You want to build a Controller yourself, and You want suggestions, or a Schematic,
we will need more information about the Motor,
and a description of its exact role in the system,
how it needs to be controlled,
what the Motor is expected to do,
DC-Resistance of the Motor, ( or "Locked-Rotor-Amps" ),
type of Motor, ( is it a Permanent-Magnet-Brushed-Motor ) ?, ( does it have a Gear-Box ) ?, etc.
And any information printed on the outside Case of the Motor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For a CNC machine, obviously you need some kind of fairly precise control.
Pick up one of the MC-60 or the better PWM MC2100 ex TM controller boards.
The MC2100 requires a simple PWM controller, the MC-60, just a 10k pot.
You can often find them in scrapped TM,s or one's advertised for free pick up, not working.

rjjenkins

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Thanks. The motor is a Sherline 4345 model number 970-506. I can't find anything about it on the Sherline website
My measurement shows 7ohm 8.5mH on the single winding (there are other wires but I think they are for thermal protection)

The Ebay controller looks potentially OK and probably less trouble than building something myself

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Be careful ........
90V / 7-Ohms = ~13-Amps, 90V X 13A = 1200-Watts,
so make sure that the Controller You buy is rated for at least ~10,000-Watts,
( because they calculate Power-Ratings differently in China ).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The nice thing about the TM MC versions, they have current monitoring on board so it is hard to exceed the rating of the controller.
With a (semi) intelligent controller, you do not have to worry a great deal about full voltage when stationary. The MC versions have built in ramp up.
The TM motors I have on hand measure around the same resistance.
Some have gone the cheap route and used one of the Triac power tool controllers followed by a bridge rectifier, but this method does not offer any of the nice features you get on the TM variety. :cool:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Incidentally what is the dia & length of the motor you have, many of the Sherline motors fitted to the mini- mill & lathe were not that high in HP?