dc; help using capacitors to delay voltage change

daveyjones97

Joined Oct 21, 2011
Hi so i need help with this fairly quickly and although its a real world problem it is really electronics 101, i only have basic electronics knowledge.
so my electric bike controller uses a 0 to 5v dc throttle signal. The problem is that the bike is 4kw powerful and throttle response is instant which is not so good for riding less than 15mph on bumpy paths. I want to use it for commuting and il be riding it when its dark and im tired. The bike does have suspension and a potentiometer on the throttle signal but the potentiometer only limits top speed and in my case doesn't affect acceleration which is what i would like to tune. Am i right to think a capacitor would limit the throttle signal change and therefore acceleration? Could someone suggest likely min/max cap values to try? Also before it gets suggested i got a new v3 cycle analyst but it wont play with my controller despite the controller coming with a cycle analyst plug. Long story. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Try a 1000 uf to start and see where that takes you. It will be experimental discovery to find a value that smooths out acceleration without it becoming to unresponsive to sudden speed change commands.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here's an idea based on guessing that 1,ooo ohms is not going to interfere with the throttle sensor.
Add a 1K resistor with a diode across it and 47 uf for a time constant of 0.05 seconds.
If you need a sudden, "off" it's available through the diode.
A Shottky diode would be better than a rectifier diode.

The time constant of 0.05 seconds will multiply out to about 0.2 seconds to match your throttle movement.
If that isn't slow enough, 100uf is still a cheap capacitor to buy.

Remember, I'm guessing!
First, try the 1K resistor with nothing else. If the throttle response goes bad, I must be wrong.

Attachments

daveyjones97

Joined Oct 21, 2011
Thanks guys i forgot to mention the most important part; immediate off action must be retained! Glad you thought of that because that would have got me, though i do have a kill switch. Il get some components and try the above circuit. Many thanks