DC-DC Buck Converter simulation Problem

Neil89

Joined Dec 29, 2017
Hello all,

I am trying to simulate a buck converter before I can actually build it in reality. I have problems with 2 components that I am trying to simulate. First, I am using a Schottky Diode instead of a regular diode, I am unable to find a good software to simulate that. I am using a switching frequency of 20kHz so I thought using a Schottky diode would give me better results when It comes to real life performance. My second problem is that I have to use a gate driver to power up my N-channel MOSFET switch, which I am also trying to simulate.but having trouble with that. Lastly, the software that I need to use needs to have the capability of implementing PI controllers to detect variations at the output side of the circuit and adjust the duty cycle accordingly.
Now, I started using LTspice as my first software, but I neither was able to simulate the Schottky diode nor was I able to find controllers in that software to implement the PI controller. I moved on to Psim and that solved the PI controller problem which is really easy to implement in Psim, but I neither was able to implement the Schottky Diode nor the Gate driver.
I am really not sure what to do at this point, How do I simulate the Gate driver and the Schottky diode in my buck converter with a software that has the capability of using controllers, namely PI. Do you advise me to get rid of the Schottky diode since it is hard to simulate? I have already ordered the Schottky diode and it has been shipped to me, but if it's going to make my life easier getting rid of the Schottky and reordering a regular pn or np junction diodes then I will consider this option. Is there a way to get around this. Also, how is a gate driver simulated? If the component itself is not made ready to be plugged in a circuit, is there a way to get around it? Please help me with your experience people. I will upload my project assignment as well as the components

Components I ordered:
1 Nmos Mosfets Model: BSZ036NE2LS Manufacturer: Infenion

1 Schotki Diodes Model: MBR745 Manufacturer: OnSemi

1 Capacitors 200uF Model: 010692 Part: 010698 Manufacturer: TOOGOO

1 Inductors 100mH

Mouser Part #: 871-B82731M2351A030 Mfr. Part # B82731M2351A030 Manufacturer: EPCOS/TDK

1 Resistors Part number: 660279 Manufacturer: Xicon Manufacturer no.: CR5-4.0-RC

1 Gate Driver FR210 recommended by you I did not manage to find an exact one of that number. Thank you.

Attachments