Datasheet Comparison of two MOSFETs

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
Good Day,

I am new in the field of power electronics and I have to do comparison of two MOSFETs based on datasheet values given by manufacturer. I have never did that previously so that's why even though i can read datasheets but i dont know from where exactly i should start doing so. If anyone could share his/her experience in that regard , it will be big help. I am comparing AUIRFP4568 from Infenion with IXTP150N15X4.
Thanks in Advance

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
They seem quite similar, but it depends on exactly what you are using them for. That determines which parameters are important and which are not.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Why do you have to do this comparison? What is the intended application? What are the requirements? Is it part of an assignment for a course you are taking?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
As said they are similar but by no means identical so the intended use will have a bearing on choice if you plan to be close to any limits. The IXTP150N15X4 device is a faster switch and has a wider Safe Operating Area so, on paper, is the better MOSFET for many applications.

In future,when asking about, or referencing, a datasheet please post the datasheets.

Attachments

Last edited:

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
They seem quite similar, but it depends on exactly what you are using them for. That determines which parameters are important and which are not.
Thanks for your reply. The application of these MOSFETs are 3 phase inverter to drive PMSM at 24V DC input at 20KHz switching Frequency

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
As said they are similar but by no means identical so the intended use will have a bearing on choice if you plan to be close to any limits. The IXTP150N15X4 device is a faster switch and has a wider Safe Operating Area so, on paper, is the better MOSFET for many applications.

In future,when asking about, or referencing, a datasheet please post the datasheets.
Thanks for your reply. The application of these MOSFETs are 3 phase inverter to drive PMSM at 24V DC input at 20KHz switching Frequency. Apologies for not attaching datasheets

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
Why do you have to do this comparison? What is the intended application? What are the requirements? Is it part of an assignment for a course you are taking?
Thanks for your reply. The application of these MOSFETs are 3 phase inverter to drive PMSM at 24V DC input at 20KHz switching Frequency

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
In that case, 150V is a very pessimistic choice for Vdd if they are in an H-bridge. I would have expected that 40V rated devices would suffice, which would give you a lot less gate charge for the same current rating.

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021

also could you please also comment what is the reason behind fast switching of IXTP150N15X4 as compared to AUIRFP4568 . also how you determined that IXTP150N15X4 has wide safe operating areas. sorry for stupid questions but i am new into this field so thats why dont know much about reading datasheets.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is sounding an awful lot like homework. If this is for a job, then why don't you have someone at work that can guide you?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
also could you please also comment what is the reason behind fast switching of IXTP150N15X4 as compared to AUIRFP4568 . also how you determined that IXTP150N15X4 has wide safe operating areas. sorry for stupid questions but i am new into this field so thats why dont know much about reading datasheets.
Your MOSFET losses will be mainly governed by 2 things - switching losses and Rds(on) losses, mostly the former. The switching losses are a function of the MOSFETs intrinsic switching times and the gate drivers ability to drive/sink the gate charge and usually they dominate, though if you don't drive the gate hard enough the Rds(on) will increase and so will your Rds(on) losses ( = Rds(on) * Id^2).

Now you don't say what your expected drain currents are. or your inverter output wattage so I can't give definitive answers.

Switching Times
OK.. so firstly the comparison is not definitive because manufacturers quote different operating conditions when measuring the parameters, but for a first approximation we see from the datasheets IXTP150N15X4 followed by AUIRFP4568, followed by a graphical definition of the 4 parameters:

1662983872015.png1662983924516.png

1662984087683.png

If it was critical for the application I would be testing both devices on a test jig under similar condition as I planning to use them.

Safe Operating Area

Again IXTP150N15X4 followed by AUIRFP4568. Its harder to see the comparisons, because of the different scales. Look where the 10v v 10A point is compared to the DC line, the IXYX device have more leeway, however at 1v the Infineon device is slightly better. So the IXYX device would be better in an analogue environment eg as a power amplifier. From a switching perspective the IXYS device copes better with a single 100uS pulse at 100A than the Infineon device.

1662985641518.png1662985683655.png

What's best will depend on your specific application; until you've defined your operating point its not possible to say specifically which is better for you.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Comparing switching times via an LTSpice simulation, using the manufacturers' Spice models clearly shows the difference... The top trace is the irfp4568 and the lower the ITXP150N15.

Subject to your inverter topology, at 20kHz these differences have little impact.

1662994917394.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
You can call me cynical, but it looks as though Infineon have a more sophisticated model. Theirs looks as though they took the Miller plateau into account, and Ixys’s looks like they used a simple RC time constant.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
You can call me cynical, but it looks as though Infineon have a more sophisticated model. Theirs looks as though they took the Miller plateau into account, and Ixys’s looks like they used a simple RC time constant.
I've attached the asc and lib files. I've not looked at this specific model but I can say that the models for other IXYS MOSFETs have been pretty close to reality...

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
Your MOSFET losses will be mainly governed by 2 things - switching losses and Rds(on) losses, mostly the former. The switching losses are a function of the MOSFETs intrinsic switching times and the gate drivers ability to drive/sink the gate charge and usually they dominate, though if you don't drive the gate hard enough the Rds(on) will increase and so will your Rds(on) losses ( = Rds(on) * Id^2).

Now you don't say what your expected drain currents are. or your inverter output wattage so I can't give definitive answers.

Switching Times
OK.. so firstly the comparison is not definitive because manufacturers quote different operating conditions when measuring the parameters, but for a first approximation we see from the datasheets IXTP150N15X4 followed by AUIRFP4568, followed by a graphical definition of the 4 parameters:

View attachment 276079View attachment 276080

View attachment 276081

If it was critical for the application I would be testing both devices on a test jig under similar condition as I planning to use them.

Safe Operating Area

Again IXTP150N15X4 followed by AUIRFP4568. Its harder to see the comparisons, because of the different scales. Look where the 10v v 10A point is compared to the DC line, the IXYX device have more leeway, however at 1v the Infineon device is slightly better. So the IXYX device would be better in an analogue environment eg as a power amplifier. From a switching perspective the IXYS device copes better with a single 100uS pulse at 100A than the Infineon device.

View attachment 276082View attachment 276083

What's best will depend on your specific application; until you've defined your operating point its not possible to say specifically which is better for you.
Thank you so much for detailed answer. So as we can see in simulation as well that IXYS mosfet is switching fast but when i compare switching parameters of both mosfets, IXYS has slightly less turn on delay but more turn off delay then infenion. Furthermore, the rise and fall time of IXYS is way more lesser than infenion mosfet. Probably this is also one of the reason why IXYS switch faster?
Regarding Safe operating area of Mosfets i still have some questions. you said that IXYS device has more freedom at 10V and 10A. What does that means precisely? also what this DC line means in safe operating area graph?
Lastly could you also please comment on Avlanche ratings of both mosfets and which mosfet has more robustness and reverse recovery losses in body diode.
Thanks

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
Good Day all,
I am doing datasheet comparison of two MOSFETs for an Inverter application. Regarding work i have done, i can see this ITXP150N15X4 device has better switching characteristics and can switch must faster and smother than ITXP150N15X4 but in our application which is only for 20KHz this information is not so relevant. So can anyone here please comment on comparison between Drain current, Junction temperature, Internal gate resistance, VGS threshold and its dependency on temperature and thermal resistance of both MOSFETs. I new in this field and I am doing this datasheet comparison for very first time that is why i need bit of guidance and feedback from you.
Attached are the datasheets for your reference.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments