Danish translation of the E-books

Rasmus_Post

Joined Oct 30, 2007
Short question.

The E-books looks very nice and would be usefull for me in my teaching.

May I use them as a text book for my courses?

May I translate the books to Danish?

Rasmus Post

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Rasmus Post,

The e-book is distributed under the Design Science License, may I bring you attention to the following section:

3. Copying and distribution
Permission is granted to distribute, publish or otherwise present verbatim copies of the entire Source Data of the Work, in any medium, provided that full copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty, where applicable, is conspicuously published on all copies, and a copy of this License is distributed along with the Work.

Permission is granted to distribute, publish or otherwise present copies of the Object Form of the Work, in any medium, under the terms for distribution of Source Data above and also provided that one of the following additional conditions are met:

(a) The Source Data is included in the same distribution, distributed under the terms of this License; or

(b) A written offer is included with the distribution, valid for at least three years or for as long as the distribution is in print (whichever is longer), with a publicly-accessible address (such as a URL on the Internet) where, for a charge not greater than transportation and media costs, anyone may receive a copy of the Source Data of the Work distributed according to the section above; or

(c) A third party's written offer for obtaining the Source Data at no cost, as described in paragraph (b) above, is included with the distribution. This option is valid only if you are a non-commercial party, and only if you received the Object Form of the Work along with such an offer.

You may copy and distribute the Work either gratis or for a fee, and if desired, you may offer warranty protection for the Work.

The aggregation of the Work with other works which are not based on the Work -- such as but not limited to inclusion in a publication, broadcast, compilation, or other media -- does not bring the other works in the scope of the License; nor does such aggregation void the terms of the License for the Work.
Therefore, as long as you don't misrepresent the origins of the work then you may use the e-books for your own educational means. We are also happy for you to point your students towards the on-line AAC versions for both e-book downloads and forum help. This may or may not be of help.

As for the translation, we are always looking for ways to expand the project and translations of the e-book are certainly one way of accomplishing this. If you wish to proceed with a translation then please feel free to do so, and please keep us informed - we could may be look at adding you work towards the AAC project.

Dave

Rasmus_Post

Joined Oct 30, 2007
That is nice to hear - I may do just that.

One question - the E-books appear as they are written in Latex. If I were to make a translation, would it be possible to get the source text for these to make a translation easier??

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
That is nice to hear - I may do just that.

One question - the E-books appear as they are written in Latex. If I were to make a translation, would it be possible to get the source text for these to make a translation easier??
Complete source code: http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/liecsrc.tar - (All volumes. One file (liecsrc.tar) containing *src.tar.gz files for each volume. Each of these gzipped .tar archives contains all the makefiles, conversion scripts, SubML text source, image libraries, and graphic images (all formats) needed to compile each volume. About 100 megabytes in its entirety.)

Minimal source code: http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/liectiny.tar - (All volumes. One file (liectiny.tar) containing *tiny.tar.gz files for each volume. The difference between this source code package and the one shown above is that this package contains only one format type for each image (EPS for schematics and illustrations, JPG for photographs), instead of both formats (EPS and JPG) for all images. This archive is much smaller (because the omitted EPS photographic image files are huge!), but requires that you do a lot of image file conversion to produce either HTML or PostScript/PDF output. About 8 megabytes in its entirety.)

Dave

Rasmus_Post

Joined Oct 30, 2007
For doing a translation, these definitely could be used as a basis - I was wondering if the underlying *.tex files would be avalible, because then I could preserve the format of the book?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
For doing a translation, these definitely could be used as a basis - I was wondering if the underlying *.tex files would be avalible, because then I could preserve the format of the book?
I'm not sure about the *.tex files - are these not available in the full source download? I will speak to the main project coordinator and ask that he gives you a more thorough answer than what I can give.

Dave

Rasmus_Post

Joined Oct 30, 2007
OK - starting to make some sense of it now. I have one problem now.

I am using MikTex as the Latex compiler and TeXnicCenter as the editor. In the source download there are a lot of *.SML files, which look like they can be converted to standard *.tex files via the make file - I just have no clue how to do that.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have requested the main project coordinator, who is better positioned to answer your question, provide you with some help/feedback on your issue. Hopefully he will answer shortly.

Dave

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
The source files are in .sml files, which look a little like html markup, with different tags. We convert this to .html for the web and .latex for further processing into .pdf . We advertise that the .html, .ps, and .pdf are available for download. We do not advertise the .latex files. Though they are in the same directories containing the afore mentioned files. For example the Digital director contains these .latex files:

a2d.latex commun.latex gates.latex multivib.latex
about.latex computer.latex hi_appendix.latex numbers.latex
binary.latex contrib.latex hi.latex relays.latex
boolean.latex counters.latex karnaugh.latex shiftreg.latex
bye.latex* DIGI.latex ladder.latex switches.latex
combin.latex dsl.latex memory.latex

The DIGI.latex is the complete .latex for the whole digital volume, which we convert to .pdf . I don't know if it is convenient to handle the whole DIGI.latex . It is composed of the other .latex chapter files and header hi.latex, hi_appendix.lateex and footer bye.latex

This is the order in which they are combined (see Makefile):
cat hi.latex \
numbers.latex \
binary.latex \
gates.latex \
switches.latex \
relays.latex \
ladder.latex \
boolean.latex \
karnaugh.latex \
combin.latex \
multivib.latex \
counters.latex \
shiftreg.latex \
a2d.latex \
commun.latex \
memory.latex \
computer.latex \
hi_appendix.latex \
about.latex \
contrib.latex \
dsl.latex \
bye.latex > DIGI.latex

The path to the Digital directory, which contains these files, at ibiblio.org is:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/Digital/

The individula volume direcories at http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/ are as follows:
AC/ DC/ Digital/ Exper/ Ref/ Semi/

""Makefile" , which we mentioned above has a list of individual .latex files making up the volume .latex . There is a Makefile in each of the volume directories. It is included in the individual source tar.gz .

The whole volume .latex's in the corresponding directors are:
AC.latex DC.latex DIGI.latex EXP.latex REF.latex SEMI.latex

Given the paths to the individual directories, you could download the whole volume .latex's . Alternative, by looking at the individual Makefile's (for file names), you could download the smaller chapter file .latex's .

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress - we will be keen to see how your translation transpires.

Dave

Rasmus_Post

Joined Oct 30, 2007
We advertise that the .html, .ps, and .pdf are available for download. We do not advertise the .latex files. Though they are in the same directories containing the afore mentioned files.
Well - the latex files are not as I would expect them to be, at least not in the sense I understand *.tex files. However - the *.sml files are sufficiently clear for me to process into files for me. It does not yeld the same page formatting as I see in the *.pfd files. I have made a test translation of around 20 pages and it goes ok :)

Rasmus

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Nice to hear you are making progress with the translations. Keep us further posted on your future progress.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
View attachment 1509

This is my attempt at translating some of the pages from the DC-book. You will note that I am using a different template for the pages and that they - ofcourse - are in danish.

Rasmus
The drafts provided look very good, the layout is both subtle but pleasing. Obviously I can't understand any of it!

Do keep us posted on your progress, it is very exciting that the e-book is being translated into other languages and I hope that in the future others will pick up translations into other languages.

Dave