Dalek style CCTV camera from the 80s

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bluebrakes, Jun 26, 2016.

1. bluebrakes

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Who remembers the 80s style Dalek CCTV cameras? Usually found in big retail stores.

Any idea how they worked? I seem to recall that CCTV camera modules were very bulky at that time.

[​IMG]

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    There were five full camera in each of those modules. The later ones had the camera offset in the hemisphere so the camera bodies could overlap each other. The hemispheres were much smaller with the same cameras inside.

No special technology, just a camera and a cable back to a video board. The video board switched signals manually or automatically (depending if security wanted to monitor one specific individual or rotate scans of the whole store.

3. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    Yes, because they used a tube for the sensor -- not a semiconductor imager like a CCD.

edit: Arrrg. I can't embed an image of an old camera for some reason.

4. Arlen Moulton

Monday
    They only have 1 camera, the other lenses are fake. a guy called big clive tore one down on his youtube channel. the video was called Inside a big scary rotating CCTV camera.

5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, the little ones the size of a pie plate with 6 windows have one camera (commonly no camera). These big ones had a camera for each eye.

6. Raymond Genovese

Mar 5, 2016

But was there one used in a Dalek?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    cmartinez likes this.
  7. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
  8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Yup, A security guard somehow "knew" two teenagers must have been up to no good when he stopped us and pointed at the thing - claiming we had to "give it back - he caught us steeling on camera". As we stood there with him pointing it, I realized there was no lens and the thing was randomly flashing. Since I didn't have any "it" to give back, I asked him to show me the pictures. I told him there is a one-hour Photo Hut in the parking lot (remember Photo Hut's?), I was happy to wait. We made so much fun of that guy, he was about to hit us before he told us to go home and not come back to his store.

cmartinez likes this.
  9. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Must be a sad profession... to be paid to be a jerk...

10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

Those are the jobs for people that peaked in high school.