Custom circuit pcb

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Very important to mention is that I never made this thing before. Now is my first time !
I have a custom circuit and I want it printed on a pcb.
Which website can you recommend to me, the cheapest ?
Or alternatives are also desirable !!!
https://www.deviantart.com/q12a/art/Q20210423-SMD-Transistor-Pads-877312830
This is the "TPad" board I want to have it multiplied and it also fits on a A4 size with 1500 Tpads.
q20210423 SMD Transistor Pads copy 1.jpg

Last edited:

mmcginty

Joined Feb 4, 2010
I use electrodragon.com, if your board is 10 x 10 cm or smaller, it's only about $15 for 10 2-sided boards. If you are using a lot of surface mount components and have a reflow oven, you'll also want a stencil to make applying solder paste easy, that costs another $15 or so. You'll have to create Gerber files to define the board, I've been using EAGLE for that for a few years. It does take a few weeks to get the boards from China via standard shipping, you can get them faster if you don't mind paying for it. The people at electrodragon.com have been great, very helpful. Good luck!

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
jlcpcb.com
chinapcbOne.com
NextPCB.com
pcbway.com

used all of these, all good/cheap but all have promotions/offers so you have to shop around to get best deal/timeframe (some are doing $0 promos if you have their logo printed on the board). They generally quote 15-45 days China airmail but I've been getting 12-20 typically for round $12 . DHL 7-10day courier is about $21 to UK.

Beware though, panelling (multiple repeats of small PCB on larger board) is expensive but is a lot cheaper if you let them do the panelling as they can add your boards to other similar requests and get more efficient coverage.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Very important to mention is that I never made this thing before. Now is my first time !
So every suggestion is gold for me.
... You'll have to create Gerber files to define the board, I've been using EAGLE for that for a few years....
I never used Eagle but I heard of it and it was in plan to learning it. I guess now it's the time.

Beware though, panelling (multiple repeats of small PCB on larger board) is expensive but is a lot cheaper if you let them do the panelling as they can add your boards to other similar requests and get more efficient coverage.
If you read my artpage image I made in the original request, you will see there are a ton of little pads to be printed. 1500 to be exact. And most important having 1mm gap between them to be able to cut them.
So you are telling me to show this artpage I made to them and leave them to make the grid ? Or should I make it fully from the start and give it to them without them wondering about it too much? What do you say I should do?
Thank you ! Very helpful both!

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Recommend KICAD for pcb layout. It's arguably easier to learn than Eagle. I use both, but KICAD is my go-to software now.

On panelling a lot of suppliers will v-groove the panel so your parts just snap out, no cutting required and a lot nicer finish.

There are limitations on how small you can go.

This tells you more.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
You know you can get these already on eBay from many suppliers, I I use them myself to put SMT onto breadboards. It's a saturated market...

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I've updated my original artpage and added the dimensions for everything.
These are custom boards! If you can find similar to the ones I drew, please share the findings.
Screenshot_8.jpgI like the V-groove idea very much, but I guess not everyone will make it. I am thinking for the worse scenario and taking precaution in everything I make/present. Either way, what I present in my original artpage, the tolerance of 1mm between the pads, that is their tolerance as well, i can wildly guess. I dont know for sure. Especially for that V-groove. That is very neat to have and hopefully will not add to the price as a special thing to pay more. I can cut it alone if I can get cheaper. You obviously have some "guys" in mind but I have 00000 in mind. I know nothing, and nothing = to 00000. Really, trust me, it is my first time doing this thing.
Tell me if these dimensions are OK - if not, point which ones.
- I just play in ExpressPCB software but im not sure if im doing it right. I got some errors for the size of the board being too small 5x6mm.
I think I should make the entire repetitive board with all the 1500 Tpads on it.
- Im trying KICAD right now. As you suggested.
Thank you again !

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
These are custom boards! If you can find similar to the ones I drew, please share the findings.
View attachment 236758
This is a sample of 304 listings of the similar thing; they can be used in both orientations. I don't understand how yours works 'horizontally'.

I personally like/use the 6-way board as it can do diodes (2/3 pin), bjt/mosfet (3/5), voltage regulator (3/4), smps (4/5) and opamps (5) plus a plethora of other 6pin devices. I've never had a problem soldering SOT23 devices. Tin the pads, add a dab of solder paste & small squirt of flux, and with my TS100 soldering pencil or the hot air gun at 350degC and its done in seconds.
Though the one I use is double sided with SOT23 (0.95mm) on one side and SOP6 (0.5mm) on the other.
1619424363184.png

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Thank you mister @Irving
As you can observe in my artpage, I already mention these vertical pads.
- I don't understand how yours works 'horizontally'.
Well, they do work horizontally. Thats why they are custom. Because I make my circuits from cardboard. And the tracks are so small and close together that the cardboard is ripping in the junction.
These custom Tpads will be glued on the cardboard and wire to the next tracks. In a word, it will make my life a bit more easier. Not by much but more than if I would have to make it myself. I did make it myself and im talking from experience. I hope it is clear enough now.
I made for you 2 pictures to exemplify:
Screenshot_1.jpgScreenshot_2.jpg

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
Thank you mister @Irving
Because I make my circuits from cardboard.
This seems like a poor idea. Cardboard is considerably more flammable than typical pcb fr4. I would be concerned about fires.

When you've finished learning kicad you should just order PCBs in whatever circuit layout you wish, from the suppliers listed above.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Ah, I get you now. For your very specific and unusual need (I'm not commenting on cardboard per se, its an unorthodox medium and my solution to the rippling would be to change media to, say, thin ply, balsa or a heat-resistant laminate like Formica) I can see how they work but there's no market for them as a general SMD adapter - they don't work any better with perf board or veroboard. The existing ones as per eBay could work horizontally in the same way. The only 'benefit' of yours is the slightly larger pad but I don't have a problem soldering the device to the normal SMD pads and then using the header pin pad for the connecting wires

I have used SMD parts directly in a rats-nest build - ie connecting parts with wire in 2D and/or 3D. I don't think the pins are any more fragile than the larger THT parts.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
It didnt cross my mind to look on the dimentions of the comercial pads that you are telling me.
I just looked on ebay description but i cant find satisfactory details.
Can you measure one for me please? Its height and width of the entire pad.
" (Pin pitch 0.95mm) to SIP3 (2.54mm pin pitch). " I think it refers to the pins on the pads (or the pad on the pad) haha.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
1619444840381.png
Interesting little board. I am having a slightly smaller board made for me by jlcpcb.com and they are putting the parts on the board.
My problem is that no one will make a very small board or not make it at a reasonable price. Most board houses have a minimum size. Also many companies charge the same price for the little board and a big board.
Options at jlcpcb.com: Because jlcpcb has a minimum board size they will not make my small board. So I made 10 x 10 array of boards with "V notch" lines so the boards can be broken apart. I include instruction not to brake the boards apart. Some time they will make the board(s) for me and some time they will not because of the minimum size.
Next problem is that jlcpcb.com will not solder the parts on the board because the board is too week with V-notches or break apart lines. So I added 1mm spacing between the boards and cut the boards apart at home with my mill.

I am getting my 10x10 array x 10 boards made in a 10 days with parts soldered. 1000 little boards at a time. I am paying the same price to 1000 boards from China for the cost of 3 boards made in the US, no parts on the board. I have saved enough money to get a CNC mill so cutting the boards apart is automated.

If you find some one that will make that little board for you please tell me who.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Can you measure one for me please? Its height and width of the entire pad.
" (Pin pitch 0.95mm) to SIP3 (2.54mm pin pitch). " I think it refers to the pins on the pads (or the pad on the pad) haha.
Yes, those are for the relative pin pitches.

The 6-pin is 7.62mm x 10.16mm (3l x 4w @ 0.1")
The 3-pin TO-92 version is similar, maybe 0.2mm shorter, so 7.62mm x 10mm

I have a custom circuit and I want it printed on a pcb.
Which website can you recommend to me, the cheapest ?
Or alternatives are also desirable !!!
https://www.deviantart.com/q12a/art/Q20210423-SMD-Transistor-Pads-877312830
This is the "TPad" board I want to have it multiplied and it also fits on a A4 size with 1500 Tpads.
View attachment 236757
Congratulations!This is Nancy,PCBA factory from China,We have our own professional engineer and PCBA factory.
May I know your whatsapp or Email?Hope we can be friend.
My WhatsApp/Wechat:+86-15972409542
www.leadsintec.com
Email:wangyixia1998@gmail.com

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
View attachment 236837
Interesting little board. I am having a slightly smaller board made for me by jlcpcb.com and they are putting the parts on the board.
My problem is that no one will make a very small board or not make it at a reasonable price. Most board houses have a minimum size. Also many companies charge the same price for the little board and a big board.
Options at jlcpcb.com: Because jlcpcb has a minimum board size they will not make my small board. So I made 10 x 10 array of boards with "V notch" lines so the boards can be broken apart. I include instruction not to brake the boards apart. Some time they will make the board(s) for me and some time they will not because of the minimum size.
Next problem is that jlcpcb.com will not solder the parts on the board because the board is too week with V-notches or break apart lines. So I added 1mm spacing between the boards and cut the boards apart at home with my mill.

I am getting my 10x10 array x 10 boards made in a 10 days with parts soldered. 1000 little boards at a time. I am paying the same price to 1000 boards from China for the cost of 3 boards made in the US, no parts on the board. I have saved enough money to get a CNC mill so cutting the boards apart is automated.

If you find some one that will make that little board for you please tell me who.
jlcpcb minimum is 70mm x 70mm, 10 x 10 of 7.62mm x 10mm would be ~77 x 100mm so should be OK.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
@ronsimpson
Roughly on a A4 format size, I will print all my little Tpads and it means 210mmx300mm
If you are looking on my artpage, you will see the calculation on the bottom.
I will get for that A4 dimension, 1500 tpads; Im sure 210x300mm is pretty big.
All im concerned now is the price.

Thank you mister @Irving for the sizes !
so the commercial one is 7.62mm x 10mm
while mine is 6x5mm (+1mm tolerance for cutting = 7x6mm)
The point is, mine is smaller.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Thank you mister @Irving for the sizes !
so the commercial one is 7.62mm x 10mm
while mine is 6x5mm (+1mm tolerance for cutting = 7x6mm)
The point is, mine is smaller.
Which is entirely fine as it fits your very specific needs. Its of little use to those that use breadboards for prototyping and various sorts of perfboard for robust one-off builds. :)

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Which is entirely fine as it fits your very specific needs. Its of little use to those that use breadboards for prototyping and various sorts of perfboard for robust one-off builds.
Im using it for prototyping. Very unorthodox prototyping I admit, but still, extremly practical how I do it. And I do it for 20 years like this. No cardboard got in flames yet. haha