Current Limiting with Schmitt Trigger Circuit Design

kaisersoze89

Joined May 28, 2024
i want to design a circuit that limits the current range to provide protection against high current. I want to use a Schmitt trigger in this design. How can I do this? For example, I want to provide protection between 2 amperes and 15 amperes. When the current falls below 2 A, the circuit should shut down, and when it exceeds 15 A, the circuit should shut down. I want it to operate only within these two values. I am considering using a shunt resistor for current measurement.

Is there an alternative I can use instead of a Schmitt trigger to set these two current thresholds?

Can you help me with this?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
If the circuit shuts down above 15A and below 2A, then that’s a window comparator not a Schmitt trigger.
A schmitt trigger could shut it down at 15A and turn it back on at 2A.

Yes, a window comparator or two schmitt. One schmitt for watching upper limit and one for bottom limit.

How do you want to retrigger it? With a manual button? Or automatically try to retrigger in some time interval like 100ms or 1s?

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
If the circuit switches off the current when it exceeds 15A, what is supposed to happen next?
The circuit will sense that the current is now below 15A (because it has just been switched off) and switch it back on?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Instead of making assumptions about an idea that You came up with,
please describe what You are trying to "protect", and why it needs protection.
"There's more than one way to skin a cat".

Does it need to be completely automatic ?, or is a manual-reset necessary ?

A detailed Schematic of the Circuit would be a tremendous help
in understanding exactly what You are trying to do.

kaisersoze89

Joined May 28, 2024
Yes, a window comparator or two schmitt. One schmitt for watching upper limit and one for bottom limit.

How do you want to retrigger it? With a manual button? Or automatically try to retrigger in some time interval like 100ms or 1s?
I want to trigger the circuit digitally, and I'm considering using an ADC (Analog-Digital Converter) at the input.
I can repeatedly trigger at specific time intervals.

kaisersoze89

Joined May 28, 2024
If the circuit switches off the current when it exceeds 15A, what is supposed to happen next?
The circuit will sense that the current is now below 15A (because it has just been switched off) and switch it back on?
It should be opened after a certain period of time, yes

kaisersoze89

Joined May 28, 2024
Aklınıza gelen bir fikir hakkında varsayımlarda bulunmak yerine,
lütfen neyi "korumaya" çalıştığınızı ve neden korumaya ihtiyaç duyduğunu açıklayın .
"Bir kedinin derisini yüzmenin birden fazla yolu vardır."

Tamamen otomatik mi olması gerekiyor yoksa manuel sıfırlama mı gerekli?

Devrenin ayrıntılı bir şeması çok yardımcı olacaktır
Tam olarak ne yapmaya çalıştığınızı anlamakta.
[/ALINTI]
Sir firstly thank you for your interest. Currently, I'm working on the circuit diagram, so I can't share it yet. The circuit needs to operate automatically and should be LOW when it is outside the desired value range. After a certain period, if it comes back within the desired range, it should be HIGH

kaisersoze89

Joined May 28, 2024
Instead of making assumptions about an idea that You came up with,
please describe what You are trying to "protect", and why it needs protection.
"There's more than one way to skin a cat".

Does it need to be completely automatic ?, or is a manual-reset necessary ?

A detailed Schematic of the Circuit would be a tremendous help
in understanding exactly what You are trying to do.
Sir firstly thank you for your interest. Currently, I'm working on the circuit diagram, so I can't share it yet. The circuit needs to operate automatically and should be LOW when it is outside the desired value range. After a certain period, if it comes back within the desired range, it should be HIGH

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
This Chip can be configured to do almost any combination of functions regarding "Over-Current-Protection".
It is also available in a larger, "Though-Hole" "PDIP" Package,
( the PDIP Package is currently out of stock at DigiKey in the US, I didn't check other US suppliers )

You did not specify the Voltage, or AC-or-DC Current for your project.

Attachments

Last edited:
Amplify the shunt voltage so the AMP outputs 0.66V at 2A and 5V at 15A.
Feed the IN node with AMP output voltage.
The right N-ch triggers the circuit by short pulse to TRIG. During this trigger pulse duration the load is On no matter what is state (output) of window comparator.

Edit (Jun 1): Now I realised turning off the P-ch because of hitting some of limit causes the shunt voltage “slowly” disappeare, so there is high chance the P-ch stays in linear region instead of switch off the load. So better use schmitts, or let the comparators there and put latch to window comparator output. This will cause nice switch off transition.

Attachments

Last edited:
What is this top secrete?