CT knob on analog oscilloscope - what does it do?

Pca

Joined Feb 10, 2020
Hi all hope this is in the right place. I bought a used old analog oscilloscope. It was very inexpensive. I will probably just pull it apart.

There is a knob on the front with "CT" on it as best as I can tell. Can someone tell me what this does. It does not appear to come up in a Google search. I don't know the brand name.

Thanks any help.

Pca

Joined Feb 10, 2020
a photo of the front panel would be helpful.
Is there a forum info page on how to post pics here?
The device is not currently accessible. Will follow up.

I thought this knob must be something obvious I was unaware of but it may be brand specific hence obscure.

Pca

Joined Feb 10, 2020
a photo of the front panel would be helpful.
Is there a forum info page on how to post pics here?
The device is not currently accessible. Will follow up.

I thought this knob must be something obvious I was unaware of but it may be brand specific hence obscure.
A picture of the front panel and/or model number might help. Does it have anything to do with the triggering?
All the trigger controls are bunched together in another area.

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Actuating the CT or 'Component Tester' button on an oscilloscope would select the 'Component Test' function. Next to the button would be banana sockets to plug in the test prods. With the button actuated, and using the test prods, a current-limited AC voltage would be applied to the component under test (e.g. resistor, diode, LED etc.), and the V/I curve displayed to evaluate the component status.

Regards,

Nandu.

Last edited:

Pca

Joined Feb 10, 2020
Actuating the CT or 'Component Tester' button on an oscilloscope would select the 'Component Test' function. Next to the button would be red and black banana sockets to plug in the test prods. With the button actuated the test prods would pass a limited constant current through the component under test (e.g. resistor, diode, LED etc.) and display the V/I curve on the scope through which the component status could be evaluated.

Regards,

Nandu.
Wow that sounds really cool. I do not recall seeing the sockets. I will check first chance tomorrow and report back.

Cheers.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
One method for posting drawings and pictures is to open the drawing or picture in "Preview" mode. (iMac computer uses Preview). Select by clicking and dragging the section of the picture or drawing you want to post and click 'copy'. Then in your next post - say what you have to say and then post the picture directly into your text. Works beautifully.

I've had some very large photos that exceeded the capacity of this forum for uploads. Clicking, dragging, copying and pasting gets around that problem nicely.

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Hi all hope this is in the right place. I bought a used old analog oscilloscope. It was very inexpensive. I will probably just pull it apart.

There is a knob on the front with "CT" on it as best as I can tell. Can someone tell me what this does. It does not appear to come up in a Google search. I don't know the brand name.

Thanks any help.
Could be 'center trace'... an adjustment that turns off deflection and allows the spot to be put exactly on a graticule line.