cruise ship ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok, is there any thing better then crystal if we expand to the whole world interms of cruise ships / cruise's

And also curious is the best cruises located in the South of North America
i.e like around florida , bahamas ,...etc or is there really good cruises interms of scenory else where in the world asia / europe ,..

Basically anybody out there have experiences in trying out all or alot of the cruise ships even international cruise ships
Curious to know why you chose crystal out of all of them and also curious to know where the best cruises source/destination are out of all of them

why in your opinon ?

Last edited:

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
Well, I guess it depends on your idea of a "vacation".
Poeple ask me for advice on traveling all the time, and I can't give them accurate advice unless I know what their "perfect vacation" is.

My "perfect vacation" is to go to a "place", relax, eat well, go to museums, see art, etc.
It is a "relaxed" "learning" vacation.

Other people like to go to 100 different places in 10 days, and party all the time.

In my opinion Crystal cruise line is a floating "Four Seasons Hotel".
If you've ever stayed at a Four Seasons, you'll know what I mean.

So I guess the answer depends on the type of vacation you want.

The top two cruise lines in the world are always Crystal or Regent.
I did the Baltic Crystal cruise, and would love to do it again - or anywhere else in the world.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , but in your opinon what is the best places to cruise from and to in the world? Forgetting for a moment what cruise liner you take

Question 2
Does all cruise liner brands/companies cruise to all places.
For example can crystal cruise line go to the same places as carnival cruise liners . (and visa-versa or are there different cruise liners that can only go to particular areas or are they all the same for places source/destinations)

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
Interesting question.

It depends on the number of ships the line has, and the time of year.
So no, not all cruise lines go where everyone else goes.

For example, Crystal only has two ships. Each ship travels the globe depending on the weather.
So in spring, they start far north in the Baltic, and then cross the Atlantic, do som Caribbean cruises, go through the canal, do some Mexican cruises, cross to Hawaii, Australia, Asia, back to Europe and start the cycle all over again.

And then, there are diffent "flavors" of cruise - for example Crystal had an "around Spain" cruise that was a "food cruise" - each mean "super special" from a famous chef.

I would suggest the following:
1. Decide the type of cruise
I want to PAAAAAAARTY!!!!
I want to sit in the sun.
I want to see interesting sites.
I want to have a nice, relaxing, well-fed vacation.

2. Decide the season.

3. Decide how much you want to pay.

4. Start doing homework on websites.

Travel by cruise ships now is VERY VERY cheap.

PS - if you are a AAA member, they have a special cruise expert who can help you.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Interesting question.

It depends on the number of ships the line has, and the time of year.
So no, not all cruise lines go where everyone else goes.

For example, Crystal only has two ships. Each ship travels the globe depending on the weather.
So in spring, they start far north in the Baltic, and then cross the Atlantic, do som Caribbean cruises, go through the canal, do some Mexican cruises, cross to Hawaii, Australia, Asia, back to Europe and start the cycle all over again.
Thanks interesting to know

So is the cruise liners have a certain round trip sort of like a PVTA bus first it does baltic , then alantic , ...etc etc and it keeps doing the same yearly tours/ cruises hitting ever possible scenic locations in the world?

Because at first I was under the impression that specific cruise liners went/did specific location cruises ... something like carnival cruise only did a few like florida / bahamas / hawaii ,...etc and another brand did cruises for starting in upper new england US , and another brand did it for europe ,...etc etc

But now what you are saying is more like all the cruise liners pretty much cover any area you just have to choose what the time they are going there , what type ,...etc

Going by the list on wikipedia seems like there is really a 20 or 30 different brands in terms of cruise ships available
Do you know what the cheapest and most expensive cruises would be is it based on the places or the actual cruise liner you take or both ?

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
HERE is a page with all the cruise lines, and their total number of ships.
They range from 1 to 36 (Princess).
The lines with large numbers of ships can keep ships locally, like multiple Caribbean cruises, or three trips a week from San Diego to Ensenda.

The price is going to depend on the cruise line.
Crystal, Reget and Cunard are the most expensive. But I'm not sure you should make the final decision based on that.
Like I said above, (1) Where do you want to go? (2) When do you want to go? and (3) What do you want to spend?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
The price is going to depend on the cruise line.
Yes but does it mostly depend on just that or also the time and places?

Also what about the cruise liners routes/ cruises are they pretty much on a PVTA based route for the cruises or do some years they don't do a particular place and only another cruise liner maybe the only option.

As well what do you think in your opinon is the best cruise to go from/to.
Would it be bahamas or something totally different / some where totally different in the world like europe or asia ,...

Would I be correct to say that typically most people choose the bahamas or hawaii type of cruises. Or is there a lot of different ones that people go on usually for example some type of percentage break down of how many people go on what cruises.

To some extent the cruise a person would probably choose over another would be influenced on how far away it is to some extent. Like a person in africa would probably not fly all the way over to Califorina or Flordia for a cruise to hawaii or another places I am guessing

Last edited:

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
The price will depend on
(1) the cruise line - Princess is cheap, Crystal is expensive
(2) the number of days - between $200 and $2000 per day per person
(3) the popularity of the destination - the more lines, the greater competition, the lower the price.

I can give you my opinion, but it would only be my opinion, and not relevant to your goals.
You should decide (1) what type of vacation you want (party vs relaxing) (2) where you want to go (Bahamas vs Baltic) (3) how many days you want to stay.

Those are your personal opinions/decisions.

I like Sangiovese, you might like Zinfandel...it's all personal.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
ok thanks but

the number of days - between $200 and $2000 per day per person
I thought when you take a cruises the cruise liner itself stay's out for a certain amount of time. i.e could be two weeks , a month ,...whatever

from what you said in the quote above it seems to me that one can say he wants to go on a one , two ,...etc day cruise ?

If that is the case then does the whole ship have to come back to drop you off then continue or what?

I don't think they would have a ship for each number of days for each group of people... to cover everything for a year you would in 365 different ships

So there must be a restriction on the choices

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
You pick the length of trip that YOU want from their list of trips.

Examples:
1. San Diego - Ensenada - 3 days
2. Baltic cruise - 11 days
3. San Diego, Hawaii, Bora Bora, Australia, New Zealand - 31 days.
4. There are some people who actually LIVE on a cruise ship and go wherever it takes them.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Same in FL, we have 1 and 2 day cruises to bahama's, then 7 days cruises to St Thomas, Jamaica, Cuzemel, etc.. and 8 days on the Queen Mary 2 to US > UK, and on and on. River cruises are picking up steam too. Especially in EU.