Crimp, Solder, or Wire Nut..

rfthe2nd

Joined Jun 21, 2016
Hello All,

I'm wiring a circuit and I was just wondering what the general opinion is.. This isn't on a board, its in an enclosure for a control panel I'm building. I need to put some resistors between some 18-22AWG stranded copper wires. What do ya'll think is the best way to do this? Should I just wire nut them all, should I solder and heat shrink them, or can I just put some crimp connectors on either side of the resistors and crimp the leads to the wires..Or is there some other, easier, and cheaper way? Just wondering what you all think.. one end of the resistors could just go into screw terminals, but I still have to go from there..

-Thanks

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
You can use any of your options; solder, crimp, or wire nut. You should insulate and support the resistor in some way to keep it from being flexed. In other words, don't just let it hang on the wire.

Make it look neat and well thought out.

rfthe2nd

Joined Jun 21, 2016
@MaxHeadRoom I'm coming from a strip of 24vdc+ terminals.. are you saying I should use twice as many terminals, just to go across a resistor? The resistors need to be between the terminals and some switches, etc, in my panel..

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I would recommend against crimp for a solid wire. Very good for stranded wire, but since you mention resistors, they have solid leads. Therefore, I would go with solder (after twisting) and heat shrink. If you heat shrink over the resistor you gain a little strength (and neatness), BUT you lower its wattage rating. That may not make a difference in your installation and is what I do when the wattage doesn't matter.

John

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
@MaxHeadRoom I'm coming from a strip of 24vdc+ terminals.. are you saying I should use twice as many terminals, just to go across a resistor? The resistors need to be between the terminals and some switches, etc, in my panel..
Resistor between 18 & 22g wire so the resistor wattage cannot be that high, In the past I have made up many types of custom interface boards using simple strip board and PCCT terminal strips to enter/exit the board.
Makes it all look neat and easy to install.
Max.

rfthe2nd

Joined Jun 21, 2016
Is there some type of push or screw terminal splice that I could use? I've been searching and I can't find anything like that.. like a din terminal that goes straight through but something I can just put anywhere on the wire...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are many kinds of DIN terminals that either are open type or at least can be adapted so each side is open, and the resistor place between each side. If that is what you mean?
Max.

rfthe2nd

Joined Jun 21, 2016
I mean something like a butt splice that you would crimp, but one that clips on or screws tight instead of crimping.. so that I can just put the resistor in-line..