Creating mounting holes for banana connector input in your PCB.

Michael Hlavaty 1

Joined Aug 17, 2015
Hi I am new to Mentor Graphics PADS and was wondering has anyone created a mounting hole for a banana connector?

My fist question is what type of pin did you select in pads logic? From picture reference "mentor_graphics_1", I used a MTGNP225H450Z225A. but my assumption is it doesn't matter because it can be adjusted in pads layout. Is this true? Or do I need to define the type of pin in logic?

The second question is what do I need to specify in pads layout to get the type of connection I want, please reference pic " mentor_graphics_2"

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
When you add a component to a layout, PADS brings in the data from the library. Therefore, you can edit/modify the decal an pads in the layout editor without altering the reference part in the library. This makes the final layout file large, but also independent.
Bring the part decal into the layout, right click on it, and edit its pad stack. Make the hole diameter large enough for the jack body, and the pad diameters larger than the front side mounting flange or back side nut. In ECO mode you can add a circuit connection.

ak

Michael Hlavaty 1

Joined Aug 17, 2015
Hi AnalogKid,

Thanks for your fast reply. So what you are saying is do not add these parts in pads logic but in pads layout? I have a few questions
1) How do you enter a part from pads layout?
2) How do you enter ECO mode?
3) You state to "Make the hole diameter large enough for the jack body, and the pad diameters larger than the front side mounting flange or back side nut". The only two options in pad stack are "Drill Size" and "Diamter", how do I create the pad diameter?

Thanks.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Diameter is the outside diameter of the pad. You can set it to different values for each of the outside layers and any internal layers. By default the two outside layers are the same value.
Drill size is the size of the hole in the pad. By default it is centered.

The version of PADS I use is fairly old, so some of the menus and options have changed. But PADS used to have an on-the-fly mode for creating connections on a pc board design without having to create a schematic, compile that to a netlist, etc. then they changed the name of that function to ECO. I don't know what the current name is, but it has to be in there somewhere. You are asking pretty basic questions that are covered in the tutorials better than me guessing about the latest GUI.

ak