Creating A System To Allow Auto-Unlocking In Vehicle

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by tazbarrow, Mar 20, 2017.

1. tazbarrow

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I have a 2005 F150 and, as far as I've been able to figure out, there is no auto unlocking feature. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to add something that will send a signal to trigger the door unlock. My knowledge of electricity and electrical components is limited so i was hoping y'all could help me. Is there a way to wire a 12v relay where it will send out power for a second or so? I don't want it to oscillate on and off, I just need it to turn on for a moment and then turn off and stay off. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    tazbarrow likes this.
  3. tazbarrow

Mar 20, 2017

I'm trying to make it where all of the doors unlock when I put my truck in park. It's very aggravating to put it in park, try to open the back door, then have to walk around again to hit the unlock on the driver door because it's the only one unlocked when i get out. It's not a big deal, it's just something that would be nice.

Thank you for your input.

4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    The first one is your problem. A GM unlocks all of the doors when they get put in park. :)

tazbarrow likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have a 2005 Ford Exploder. Ford failed to put a key hole in any door except for the drivers' door. Ford made up for that with a keyfob so I can push a button twice and unlock all the doors. Do you have any such a system on your F150? If not, post #2 shows a good answer for $10

tazbarrow likes this.
  6. tazbarrow

Mar 20, 2017

The problem is not that it doesn't have a functional key fob, the problem is that I want all of the doors to unlock when I put the truck in park like they do in most GM vehicles.

shortbus likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The problem is that you want a GM feature in a Ford truck instead of pushing the button on the keyfob?
    I would have to get into the wiring diagram for the F150 to do that.
    Detect, "Park", fire all door locks for a tenth of a second, reset pulser to await next time Park is detected.
    Or you could press the unlock button on the driver's door before you walk to the rear of the truck.

tazbarrow and shortbus like this.
  8. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    You can set the vehicle's computer to do that if you want. How to set its in the manual.

Cepega likes this.
  9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I believe you can only disable autolock.. And cannot enable unlock on park..

tazbarrow likes this.
  10. tazbarrow

Mar 20, 2017

You are correct. I believe the auto unlock feature is only available in newer Ford vehicles. I just wanted to add it because i thought it would be something nice to have.

11. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Of course disabling auto lock which you can do also (in a round about way) solves your issue too... As the doors wouldn't be locked when you get out..
    But also opens you up to "slow drive by muggings" :)

Sounds like if you want to move forward you could just do a one shot relay triggered by the park switch/sensor..

tazbarrow likes this.
  12. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    If all of the doors are electrically controlled, why not just jumper the drivers door control wire to the switch controlling the other doors? Pretty sure that's how it's done in a GM vehicle. That way when the drivers door unlocks they all will.

13. tazbarrow

Mar 20, 2017

As you can probably tell, I am very new to the world of circuits and relays and whatnot. I've been doing some looking around and I came across this Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 9.48.24 PM.png
    I think understand what is going on in most of the diagram and, based on my understanding, this setup would create a one-shot relay. Am I wrong in this understanding or would this work to send out a short output from a constant signal source? I am also curious of what the light blue lines and black box connecting the 86 and 85 pin are. Would you happen to know what is being represented there?

14. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Did you see my post #12? You already have what is needed in the vehicle, except for a jumper wire. Do you have a Haynes manual for the truck? It should have the wiring diagrams in it to show the wire colors and how they are connected to your switches. Posting the one showing the door lock circuits I could tell you how to go about it.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Adding wires in a Ford is an all day job.:(
    Right now, my instrument cluster is hanging by the cables as I try to find out why the dome light and glove compartment light never go off. The, "Battery Saver Relay" is good, so it must be getting a command from the instrument cluster to stay on all the time. Automotive electric is usually quite a challenge and the arrival of half a dozen microprocessors per car makes it worse.:( I'm going to have to add some relays to defeat some of the inescapable, "features" in the car...like a $1000 instrument cluster that never turns off the dome light.:mad:

shortbus likes this.
  16. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    My understanding of that problem is it originates in the main control computer software or if not in the switching device in it for that circuits output being permanently shorted on.

An associate of mine works for the local Ford dealership and has commented on the only fix they have for vehicles with that problem is to change out the ECM or whichever computer module that signal comes from or tap into the wire and add an override switch.

If you can track down where the signal originates and if in fact it is a simple shorted transistor in a control module I would like to know about it. It might be a rather profitable sideline business to get into fixing them! ;)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I can see how to use a relay that is powered from a, "hot in run or accessory" line to get the radio to turn off when I switch off the engine, but the dome light is a different matter. I want it available when I open the door at night, which means, "switch off" but I haven't figured that out yet. The command for the dome lights is in the instrument cluster where the uP grounds a relay coil, but never turns off the relay. Probably just needs a few more microprocessors.:D

18. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Used to be a Ford man, but once they started adding computers I switched to GM. Much easier to fix and trouble shoot.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Do you really have any suspicion that GM won't go the same route?o_O
    Maybe not today, maybe not on the model you prefer, but it is coming.
    Any car designer that chooses not to turn a $2 Picaxe into a Dealership Only, $1000 repair, will soon be unemployed.

@tcmtech said this is a market opportunity, and I believe him!
    I already have a list of things I defeated, but they are posted on a Ford repair site. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?forums/stock-2002-2005-explorers.101/
    You might deduce that I am the one called, "Number Twelve";)
    No Blog space there. I will consider posting them on my Blog space here.
    Just, today sucks. I spent 5 hours under the dashboard yesterday and I can barely move today.:(
    I had to remove 5 trim panels to get at the, "Central Junction Block". Then I used a Sawzall to remove the metal entombing the aforementioned fuse and relay block. Now I can get at either side of it by removing only one trim panel. I call it the, "drivers' knee panel".

When I can resume physical activities, I am going into the wiring bundles at the instrument cluster with my pointy probe and trace out who is keeping the dome light on all the time. It's supposed to be the, "Battery Saver" relay in charge of that, but the relay checks out "good" so it must be the instrument cluster CPU with the relay coils' ground stuck on.:mad:

20. tazbarrow

Mar 20, 2017

I must have looked right past your first post. The following diagram is the only one that has anything to do with the door locks, so maybe it will be helpful.