Creating a retractable airscoop

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by marshall98, Mar 22, 2017.

1. marshall98

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Hi guys, I'm very new to electronic circuits so I don't know much about it. I got this idea of a simple circuit to extend and retract my car's air scoop with a switch. so basically switch on to deploy the air scoop and switch off to retract it back but I have no idea how I can design a circuit for it. can anyone help me? will be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. recklessrog

May 23, 2013
    We did this to a Toyota MR2 by getting a headlight retracting mechanism from a scrap yard, ( used to raise and lower headlights in lots of cars over the years) Because it was powerful enough to raise headlights, it was more than powerful enough for the scoop. the one we used had built in limit switches and simply needed a switch, fuse, and power from the battery. P.S, although the MR2 is rear engined, we fitted it in the bonnet just for cosmetic effect)

marshall98 likes this.
  3. marshall98

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 22, 2017
    thanks for the info! I'll take a look at it straight away

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    electronic circuit will depend on the mechanical solution chosen..

A single switch + motor may be all thats needed.. Flip switch one way.. scoop goes up.. flip other way (to reverse power to motor) and scoop goes down.. Nothing else required.. End stop switches would be a good idea but again that depends on the mechanical solution kind of..

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There are also automotive antenna retractors that might easily be hacked for this purpose.

#12 likes this.
  6. BR-549

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 22, 2013
    As others have noted.........it will depend on the size and shape of scoop......it's location.....and nearby structure.

The mechanical solution will limit and suggest the control. What's wrong with a cable actuator.......like an old choke cable?

You are willing to use a switch...right?

One could electrically automate to rpm or accelerator position.

7. MrSoftware

Oct 29, 2013
  8. dromaine72

May 7, 2017
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this but it should do what you want-

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/other-cool-stuff/power-cowl-vent-kit

I would hook it up to the TPS to have it open as soon as you hit a certain level on the throttle and close via a switch or however you choose. All of the work is already done for you. Just bolt on and wire up!

9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Boring... This isn't "allaboutbuyingstuffofftheshelf" :p

#12 likes this.
  10. MrSoftware

Oct 29, 2013
    I would not try to monitor the TPS line. If anything goes wrong you will suddenly lose throttle control, most likely the motor will stumble or stall, which would be dangerous.

11. dromaine72

May 7, 2017
    No, but depending on how big his project is and who knows how many other ideas he has it could free up time for other modifications.

12. dromaine72

May 7, 2017
    I should've been more clear. I never intended for him to splice into the tips itself. He can use that location to put something there to actuate the motor.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have decided on a personal limitation. If the question merely asks someone to go shopping for a part, I don't do it.
    I might refer to a Thread about parts vendors, but I won't go do the shopping unless there is something more interesting about the question.
    In general, men hate shopping. In particular, I hate shopping, and it's often one of the most time consuming parts of a project.:(
    I have spent 2 days finding and ordering parts for a 6 hour job.:mad:

cmartinez and shortbus like this.
  14. dromaine72

May 7, 2017
    I myself hate shopping for most things but I am a automotive freak. I love vehicles. I love tools. And when it comes to parts I'm always looking for things. I own a jeep wrangler and there are tons of aftermarket parts for them. The problem is, I buy the part and modify it. So in my journeys I find things that may not be of use to me for my current project, they may be down the line. But you're absolutely correct, finding the part can be the most time consuming aspect. Thanks for coming to the newbies defense.

cmartinez and #12 like this.
  15. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    You don't mention how far it must move, another thing to consider is a power door lock actuator. a momentary button will open it, another press of the same button will close it. All of this depends on how far it must move..