Creating a miniproject need a hand ! simple 3 input(or) gate usage and send and receive type device

Sathya Prakash

Joined Jul 1, 2015
I'm just a beginner in electronics side
Actually its a device that transmits information to a main source at the time of emergency.

At the time of accident people are saved by air bags in a car but that isn't enough to save their lives and to cover up their security Ive come up with an idea, that is its a basic instrument that triggers for 3 different reasons
1. when an accident occurs (airbags open and the safety belts tightened)
2.there is a threat to the driver and the co-passengers
3.in case of an fire
when these three situations occur the device should send the message to the nearby police station and hospital by which chaos can be avoided and many helpful factors are added upon.
My idea upon it :
I basically think that 2 different devices has to be placed inside a car, looking at the 1st case which states that when the airbags opens or when the seat belt tightens its has to trigger and send up the message so this device can get the information which is digital can be procured from the airbag devices which can be fed as an input to the device
now coming up to the second case a thermal and as well as a emergency device can be used and the other stuff which might be the second part of the project.

All i wanted to know is that can the signal from the airbag sensor be fed into a or 3 input or gate ?
my second question is that what is the possible way of transmitting the message from the accident hit vehicle to the police station or some main station ?
suggestions are appreciated .

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I think your idea has some merit. In fact, I am surprised that I have not seen it done. Maybe OnStar is similar.

Some quick thoughts...
Tapping into an airbag circuit is probably not easily done safely without the help of the manufacturer.

I believe that the best way to send for help would be to automate the emergency help function of a cell phone. This would be 911 here in the US.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If the fire detector as a sensor input to your main device and put in car, the fire detection could using the thermal and smoke to do the job, if you considering the detecting speed then maybe you need four sensors to put in four different places.

The airbags open and the safety belts tightened, this will be need two different detection sensors, and doing a AND logic function, if plus the auto phone call system, it can't be a small project.

Sathya Prakash

Joined Jul 1, 2015
Lets make the project simple remove the fire sensor part, let it be that it works only when the air bags are triggerd. Putting in the first part that I work with the air bag manufacturer. And built up the input part such that it works on a simple( if condition) that if the air bags open the signal would slbe stimulated and the signals triggers the message and sends them to the police station but how should the circuit be build such that if the airbags are openes it sends the message what components are to be used? Like what are the transmittr and receivee type?

Sathya Prakash

Joined Jul 1, 2015
No
If the fire detector as a sensor input to your main device and put in car, the fire detection could using the thermal and smoke to do the job, if you considering the detecting speed then maybe you need four sensors to put in four different places.

The airbags open and the safety belts tightened, this will be need two different detection sensors, and doing a AND logic function, if plus the auto phone call system, it can't be a small project.
sir let us rely on the sensors provided by the airbags itself we just want to take the output that is a true singnal(1) from their output and make them act the input for our device ,I suppose fire. Detection e can add up for the next version,leave on the fire detection part just the device has to be switched on when. Airbags open and triggr the message!!!

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I'm sure the safety regulations will allow to adding this sensor or not, if you adding the sensor to the surface of airbag then you should concern that it could be hurt the driver and the people who sit in front of the airbag, because when the high pressure and high speed popping out the airbag, there is a method can be considered is to detecting the crash sensor that you can see the left side of the attach.

composite_draft_bag_a.jpg
Images Source.

Crash sensor -- If a collision should occur, intelligent sensors trigger off the occupant restraint systems at the correct moment. The crash sensors must be able to detect a collision and convert it into corresponding signals within a matter of milliseconds.

So I think if you can get the signal from the crash sensor and then you can send the trigger signal to the main device and call 119 or some phones to handle that situations.

Eric Binkerd

Joined Jun 18, 2015
You can use an opto coupler to pick up the signal from the sensor or air bag, depending on the signal voltage that is. I would do this simply for circuit isolation. The last thing we would want to happen is the air bag being set off accidentally. Once the signal is picked up, run it to an arduino with GSM shield. One thing though, in the event of an accident, you want the device to be heavily protected from shock, and on impact you will likely lose power more so from a front end collision.

Sathya Prakash

Joined Jul 1, 2015
Sir I have enquired about my project to the nearest air bag manufacturer. He assured me that the model which I was proposing that if the device was small he would be able to fix them at the centre of the car.
He said that when the sensors are triggered they flow to the steering part where the main board for triggering the air bag is placed he says that he will make 2 outputs from the sensors that is one to the device which we are making and the other to the air bag circuit board such that we can alarm the respective emergency department.
Ive attached a photo where a black mark has been made over a car thats where the manufacturer suggested me to place the device.

Coming to the device ,I suggest that we could use a sim card by which the message is to be send to the concerned emergency department I choose this because it would be easy to trace the location of the accident hit vehcile, more over sos calls are free for almost every carriers. All we now want to do is to built a circuit board such that when then parallel input from the sensors are received it sends a message of sos to the concerned emergency department, is that a good idea ?
If so how to implement it?

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Now you have to setup how many volts of the power for circuit, and how are the hi and low signal from the sensors, and how is the hi and low to the emergency department?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I haven't play the sim card alone as what you want, I just thought that if you could find a module everything is done then it is more easier, otherwise you need to program a Mcu and it will similar as this -- Figure 1. Sim Card Typical Interface Application - NCN4555 1.8V / 3V SIM Card Power Supply and Level Shifter, and you can get some other infos from here or you can google "how to interfacing with a Sim card".

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm just a beginner in electronics side
Actually its a device that transmits information to a main source at the time of emergency.

At the time of accident people are saved by air bags in a car but that isn't enough to save their lives and to cover up their security Ive come up with an idea, that is its a basic instrument that triggers for 3 different reasons
1. when an accident occurs (airbags open and the safety belts tightened)
2.there is a threat to the driver and the co-passengers
3.in case of an fire

You say; "simple 3 input OR gate" - how simple do you want?

It can be as simple as 3 diodes routing 3 different signals to a common node (diode OR'ed). Within reason, you can have as many inputs as you have diodes.

With what could well be a transient event, you connect the commoned cathodes to the gate of an SCR for example, a trigger fed in through any of the diodes will latch the SCR.