Creating a Gerber out of a .ppt file

Zurn

Joined Mar 4, 2019
Hi all,

Someone recently asked me to make a replica of a PCB we have around. Unfortunately instead of a set of gerber files they gave me an image of what looks like a set of gerber files but is actually a single image saved as a powerpoint file. Seems strange to me!

I'm just wondering what the recommended course of action is in this instance. I know absolutely nothing about designing PCBs or generating gerber files, and see this as an opportunity to learn, but is there an obvious shortcut?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The problem is that you have no idea what the proper scale is. Gerber files contain precise information for making photographic masks. The originals are normally created at a scale of 4:1, that is four rimes the size of the finished board. These are then reduced photographically to 1:1 so those masks can be used in the actual PCB fabrication process. Any dimensional errors on the 1:1 masks will be replicated on the printed circuit board. Even with 50 years of experience, I would not willingly undertake such a process since the chances of success would appear to be exceedingly dim.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
single image saved as a powerpoint file
Is this a single sided board? Single image = one side.
This file came from somewhere and was something different before power point. I wander what it was.
Can you post a picture? Are there mounting holes that have to be stop on?