Creating a custom symbol that has components in it, in Orcad

nettek

Joined Jun 4, 2018
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I have this component I need to use:
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LC03-6R2-D.PDF

Since this part isn't in any of the Orcad libraries, I am creating it on my own.
My question is, can I make the part look like this in my schematic:
upload_2018-11-8_10-49-2.png

That is, without using the basic graphics (rectangles, circles and such) but by using already made components. For example, take 5 diodes and connect them like in the image above, so that my part will look exactly the same.

Thank you!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I use Eagle, not Orcad. What you suggest is easily doable in Eagle and probably so in Orcad.

In Eagle, you would open each component's library (there are only two), copy the symbol, then paste that in the new symbol you are making for that device. You will need to make a package. For that, grab the package from an 8-pin device of appropriate dimensions and use that.

Finally, make your device by connecting the correct terminations of the symbol to their respective pins in the package.

nettek

Joined Jun 4, 2018
Thank you, but I can't seem to be able to do this in Orcad.

I tried copying the symbols required but it cannot be pasted in the new part I'm trying to make.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thank you, but I can't seem to be able to do this in Orcad.

I tried copying the symbols required but it cannot be pasted in the new part I'm trying to make.
Did you open the symbol in a library edit window or just try to paste the symbol from a schematic creation window? The later won't work, so far as I know, because schematic symbols are linked to packages and devices.

Actually, a functionally "equivalent" symbol isn't needed at all. Only an empty box with the right number and function (i.e., I/O, passive, power, etc.) of pins is all that should be needed.

Last edited:

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I have this component I need to use:
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LC03-6R2-D.PDF

Since this part isn't in any of the Orcad libraries, I am creating it on my own.
My question is, can I make the part look like this in my schematic:
View attachment 163331

That is, without using the basic graphics (rectangles, circles and such) but by using already made components. For example, take 5 diodes and connect them like in the image above, so that my part will look exactly the same.

Thank you!
Look at this video. I think it will give you a hint.
https://www.orcad.com/resources/library/orcad-symbol-editor

nettek

Joined Jun 4, 2018
Did you open the symbol in a library edit window or just try to paste the symbol from a schematic creation window? The later won't work, so far as I know, because schematic symbols are linked to packages and devices.
I tried to do both.

Actually, a functionally "equivalent" symbol isn't needed at all. Only an empty box with the right number and function (i.e., I/O, passive, power, etc.) of pins is all that should be needed.
I know, I just think the schematic would look nicer this way.

Look at this video. I think it will give you a hint.
https://www.orcad.com/resources/library/orcad-symbol-editor
Thanks! I'll check it out.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This is a diode as opened in library edit:
upload_2018-11-8_7-35-43.png

Here is what you get after pasting and removing pins (top). Bottom is a silly arrangement with lines drawn and pins attached. ONLY the pins are important.

upload_2018-11-8_7-41-47.png

John

nettek

Joined Jun 4, 2018
This is a diode as opened in library edit:
View attachment 163339

Here is what you get after pasting and removing pins (top). Bottom is a silly arrangement with lines drawn and pins attached. ONLY the pins are important.

View attachment 163340

John
Okay, I did it! reading "library edit", I tried editing an existing part (a diode in that case), and created something of my own by copy-pasting what I needed. While Orcad are not making this intuitive at all, I'm happy it's still possible. Thank you!

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Okay, I did it! reading "library edit", I tried editing an existing part (a diode in that case), and created something of my own by copy-pasting what I needed. While Orcad are not making this intuitive at all, I'm happy it's still possible. Thank you!
Try "KiCad".