counter 2-3-1-0 using jk flip flops

sweetpea1543

Joined Nov 19, 2020
Hello all!
I am trying to complete a circuit that that outputs the sequence of 2-3-1-0 using the clock on my bread board. I am supposed to jk flip flops and a seven segment display. I have a ciruit that i think works but i am confused on how to use the 7 seg display with only one output? I have attached my circuit below. Thanks!

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a ciruit that i think works but i am confused on how to use the 7 seg display with only one output?
Your circuit has 2 outputs and the display appears to have 4. What do you think you need to do with the unused inputs?
I have attached my circuit below.
Your drawing style is atrocious. Unnecessary wire bends, scenic routes, wires on top of symbols, unnecessary connection dots. How would you feel if someone asked you to read something like that?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi sweetpea,
Welcome to AAC.
I guess you are just starting out studying electronics.?
Have you been taught any method of drawing circuits, it can be difficult at the start but you could easily pick it up.
E

sweetpea1543

Joined Nov 19, 2020
hi sweetpea,
Welcome to AAC.
I guess you are just starting out studying electronics.?
Have you been taught any method of drawing circuits, it can be difficult at the start but you could easily pick it up.
E
thanks for asking... unfortunately no i have not. This class that im in is kind just everyone being thrown off into the deep end :(. ive tried my best at doing it but clearly there is a certain method of drawing circuits that your supposed to follow. None of which ive been taught.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
OK, I understand.
If you have to display the Count down on a LED, you need a LED driver IC.

This PDF shows one example, there are many more.

Have you been told which IC's you can use in your project.?
E

Update:
This is a clip from circuit that uses switches, yours will be the JK flip flops
articles-segment5.gif

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
ive tried my best at doing it but clearly there is a certain method of drawing circuits that your supposed to follow. None of which ive been taught.
The preferred flow is left to right and top to bottom; with consideration for the items I mentioned above.

Here's an example of a down counter:
clipimage.jpg
Printing from logisim gives something without the grid (and the colors):
clipimage.jpg
This class that im in is kind just everyone being thrown off into the deep end :(
What school are you attending?

EDIT: You're using the display with 8 inputs. The hex display has an input with the address lines bused:
clipimage.jpg

Last edited:

sweetpea1543

Joined Nov 19, 2020
again please excuse the way this is designed but i have made progress. The only state that i am missing is now 0. Please see the circuit below

sweetpea1543

Joined Nov 19, 2020
The preferred flow is left to right and top to bottom; with consideration for the items I mentioned above.

Here's an example of a down counter:
View attachment 222762
Printing from logisim gives something without the grid (and the colors):
View attachment 222764
What school are you attending?

EDIT: You're using the display with 8 inputs. The hex display has an input with the address lines bused:
View attachment 222769
again please excuse the way this is designed but i have made progress. The only state that i am missing is now 0. Please see the circuit below

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Why are you using a display that requires a decoder? I interpreted the requirement to be to design a counter with a 2-3-1-0 sequence.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi sp,
As you may know a 7 segment LED's segments are named a,b,c,d,e,f,g

Please mark your circuit LED segments with these letters, so that we can check your circuit.

E
AAA 784 18.19.gif
Update:
This is the segment combination you need to show 3 then 2 , 1 and 0
LED7seg1.gif

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yes youre correct. However we are supposed to display the output of the sequence on a 7 segment display
This display has 2 inputs. The input on the left is a bus for the 4 inputs; don't know what the other pin is for - it doesn't seem to be needed.

EDIT: The input on the right is for the decimal point.
clipimage.jpg

Check your counter design logic. I was able to make the counter without using any additional gates.

Last edited: