Corupting a micro sd card / sim

Shocktech01

Joined Apr 24, 2015
hey does anyone know witch of the eight pins on a micro sd card if bombarded with 5volts will corrupt all data or erase or just render the chip unreadable was thinking pin 6 (ground) and pin 7 (data out) but dont really want to test on one of my cards and no im not looking to be able to use again just looking for a data erase fail safe. i guess id have to run a diode as to not burn out the device while still rendering the data from being usable what size of diode would be suitable for this? also which pin on a sim card would have the same effect rendering no readable data?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Nothing like that will make the data unrecoverable. Even if you destroy the data lines to the memory controller the flash itself will be ok.
Overvolting the power supply pins might be better, but still you cannot be sure that the data is unrecoverable.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It sounds like you want to make the data unreadable but not destroy the device. If the data is unreaadable, isn't the device useless anyway?

Some solid state disc drives have a secure erase function built in, but these are expensive.

ak

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Wear leveling built into the device will complicate complete erase. There is sometimes a distinction between "secure erase", which doesn't always erase data, and "sanitize", which "should".

I Googled and found all kinds of conflicting information. Some are certain they have a method that works; ignorance is often blissful...

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
5 volts may do the trick since an SD card runs off 3.3 volts so a 50% overvoltage may just blow the thing up.

If I wanted the data guaranteed to be unrecoverable I'd toss it into a blender.