Correct fusing for basic setup with fans

The shaft adapter looks like it has a setscrew. They are usually hex.

Adapters such as these https://www.servocity.com/motion-components/rotary-motion/hubs/set-screw-hubs can be used to make connections.
for 1/4"

Usually, there is available shaft adapters. e.g. you can attach a 1/8 shaft to a 1/4" bore.

In reality, the shaft size is usually precision and won't say exceed 0.250" for 1/4 inch. The bore is going to based on a slip or friction fit. Friction fit is pressed on and a slip fit is held by a set screw.

In the shaft adapter in your motor, a light load is secured by a screw. You can use a flat head screw on your disc that would need to be countersunk so the head is flush with the top of the disc. This means you have to acess to the top side.

The hub would allow you to remove the disc from the motor side. Holes could be thru bored and tapped (easier than blind). The screws would not protrude thru the plate.

You don't want to cut screws if you don't have to especially small ones. Cutting can be accomplished by placing a nut or double nut on the screw, so the nut(s) stay on the screw after it's cut. when the nuts are removed, it reforms the threads. A dremel tool with a cutting disc is one such option for small screws. You can chamfer the edges with a file - again put the nut on first.

youradds

Joined Jul 3, 2018
The shaft adapter looks like it has a setscrew. They are usually hex.

Adapters such as these https://www.servocity.com/motion-components/rotary-motion/hubs/set-screw-hubs can be used to make connections.
for 1/4"

Usually, there is available shaft adapters. e.g. you can attach a 1/8 shaft to a 1/4" bore.

In reality, the shaft size is usually precision and won't say exceed 0.250" for 1/4 inch. The bore is going to based on a slip or friction fit. Friction fit is pressed on and a slip fit is held by a set screw.

In the shaft adapter in your motor, a light load is secured by a screw. You can use a flat head screw on your disc that would need to be countersunk so the head is flush with the top of the disc. This means you have to acess to the top side.

The hub would allow you to remove the disc from the motor side. Holes could be thru bored and tapped (easier than blind). The screws would not protrude thru the plate.

You don't want to cut screws if you don't have to especially small ones. Cutting can be accomplished by placing a nut or double nut on the screw, so the nut(s) stay on the screw after it's cut. when the nuts are removed, it reforms the threads. A dremel tool with a cutting disc is one such option for small screws. You can chamfer the edges with a file - again put the nut on first.

Thanks for the reply :) I ended up ordering 2 lots of bolts: M2 and and M2.5 (I think the thread is a 2.5, but its hard to tell as I don't have the tool to measure it exactly). Anyway, it was £2.50 for 2 packs each with 5 in, so it's worth a shot. If that fits, I'm hoping I'll be able to attach it to the wooden disks (multiple layers, so I should be able to put it through a hole, then glue another disc onto the top of it, holding it in place.

I guess time will tell if this will work =)

Cheers

Andy

Your mounting method might not be in your best interest. You should consider a wrench to remove the "set screw"? Wood will be compressible, so you might consider a flat washer on the top and bottom with a split lockwasher. Locktite 222 is a low strength threadlocker. i.e. https://www.paisleyproducts.com/content/files/content/tds/AVLO0222_tds_1_1_2015.pdf

You could recess the top piece of wood with a Forstner bit and use a flat washer on both sides.

youradds

Joined Jul 3, 2018
Your mounting method might not be in your best interest. You should consider a wrench to remove the "set screw"? Wood will be compressible, so you might consider a flat washer on the top and bottom with a split lockwasher. Locktite 222 is a low strength threadlocker. i.e. https://www.paisleyproducts.com/content/files/content/tds/AVLO0222_tds_1_1_2015.pdf

You could recess the top piece of wood with a Forstner bit and use a flat washer on both sides.
Hi,

The spinning motion is quite slow (9rpm), and the disc is only 3mm MDF layered on top of each other (I'm thinking 3 layers), with a laminated label on top of it. I agree on the washer idea (I'm hoping the bolts will arrive today so I can have a play, and see if they are a viable option)

You should consider a wrench to remove the "set screw"?
I'm not sure what you mean?

Thanks!

Andy

youradds

Joined Jul 3, 2018
Here is the almost finished version 1 . Just thought I'd share, as I'm pretty proud of it =) (apologies for the squeaking decking)

Thanks everyone for your help!