Correct Connection Setup - FR Signal Generator to Oscilloscope

btvarner

Joined Jan 7, 2018
I am trying to put together a schematic for this RF generator, and like usual, I am having trouble identifying an old mica type resistor. Here is an image. I thought that left to right as you are looking at is was correct, but that comes out as a funky value. Going up-side-down it is: 80ohm - 500v -10% tolerance. Am I correct?

btvarner

Joined Jan 7, 2018
As you know, I am trying to create a schematic for this RF generator. Now glad I am. It is interesting + I am finding out obvious things that I should have identified earlier. Not completed with the schematic yet but…… Funny how you miss the most obvious things.

No wonder the generator did not work, it is missing a tube! Don’t know how I did not see that. Image 1 shows where the tube goes. Problem is, being unable to find a OEM schematic anywhere, how am I supposed to know what tubes should go there?

The 2nd image is of an unidentified square can next to the electrolytic capacitors. It has absolutely no identifying markings on it. Has only 2 wires (Both maroon) coming out the bottom. Image 3 is a portion of the schematic I am creating dealing with the part of the schematic that is this unidentified square can. Can anyone identify it via the image or my schematic?

Wondering what to do next………… Thanks!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OMG, missed a missing tube. :)

I want to say the unidentified can is a filter choke but the way it is wired in wouldn't fit that scheme. The 6AV6 is a pretty slick tube, it is a Duplex Diode Triode. Pin 7 is the triode plate. Pins 5 & 6 are the diode plates for the duplex (two) diodes. Pins 3 & 4 are the 6.3 VAC filament. I can't understand why pins 2, 3, 5, and 6 would be tied together? However I think the square can is a choke across plate and grid with capacitor coupling to the grid. That would make sense maybe so my best guess and only a guess is the metal box is a choke (Inductor).

Ron

btvarner

Joined Jan 7, 2018
Here is the finished schematic for this Realistic SG-2 Signal Generator. In doing the schematic (My 1st) I learned a lot. Because I am apparently missing a tube & have no idea what model tube that might be, I hope someone reading this might know so I can continue the process. If not I guess I am stuck looking for another make/model RF generator that I will be sure and obtain a schematic of before I buy it.

Caveats:
1) This is NOT an OEM schematic. There are none that I have located for this make/model.
2) This is my schematic of the generator. The 1st time I have created a schematic. I could have made mistakes in that process.
3) This generator was purchased originally as a kit. That person could have in correctly put together the generator.
4) Any subsequent owner could have, and likely did make modifications/changes to the generator.
5 ) All the issues with the generator not working could simply be because it is missing an unknown type vacuum tube.

On 01/15/19 I found some discrepencies in the schematic. I have made changes, but could not get the smaller version already posted to change, so I deleted it. For the updated, much larger .pdf version of the schematic click here. Thanks!

Last edited: