Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.thedailybeast.com/im-at...ets-mocking-vaccines-is-fighting-for-his-life
“Having seen this up close and personal I'd encourage ALL of you to put politics and other concerns aside and get it,” he added, noting that he wouldn’t wish his brother’s condition on his worst enemies.

A day later, during an appearance on WWTN-FM in Nashville, Mark Valentine said his brother was regretful that he wasn’t a more vocal advocate for getting vaccinated.

“For those listening, I know if he were able to tell you this, he would tell you, ‘Go get vaccinated. Quit worrying about the politics. Quit worrying about all the conspiracy theories,” he said.
This is nature taking its course. Don't be this guy.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Been calling my sister who I mentioned several post back. She had the Pfizer both shots and developed COVID. She is doing well feeling much better and described a weird effect. She lost her sense of taste and smell (makes sense) and this morning made a tasteless egg salad sandwich. A few hours later she went to start a laundry load. She realized she could smell the laundry detergent. She described it as like someone flipped a switch. Taste and smell came back in a matter of a few hours or less. Cindy is 69 and she mentioned at the onset it kicked her but but within a few days not that bad and now after less than a week she figures she is 85% back.

I guess we could paraphrase Scrooge:
“Many can't go there; and many would rather die.” “If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Sadly, he is not the first and likely won't be the last.

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This is nature taking its course.
(Did someone already say that?)
A few have.
https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/m...thoughts-on-covid-19-podcast-episode/5848863/
'I'm gonna let nature do its course': Vikings QB Cousins discusses thoughts on COVID-19 in recent podcast episode
I'm gonna let nature do its course. Survival-of-the-fittest kind of approach. And just say, if it knocks me out, it knocks me out. I'm going to be OK. You know, even if I die. If I die, I die. I kind of have peace about that."

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-cov...data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/
As of July 19, less than half of Black and Hispanic people have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose in the vast majority of states reporting data. The vaccination rate for Black people is less than 50% in 38 of 42 reporting states, including 14 states where less than a third of Black people have received one or more doses. Similarly, less than half of Hispanic people have received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in 34 of 40 reporting states, including 10 states where less than a third have received at least one dose. At least half of White people have received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in 17 of 42 states. The rate remains below 50% in the remaining 25 states but falls below a third in only one state, Idaho. At least half of Asian people have received one or more doses in more than half of reporting states (32 of 39).
Discussion
Together, these data show that, despite recent trends suggesting improving equity in COVID-19 vaccination patterns and a recent narrowing in the gap between vaccination rates for White and Hispanic people, disparities are persisting. Less than half of Black and Hispanic people have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose in nearly all states reporting data, including a number of states where less than a third have received a vaccine. These lower vaccination rates among Black and Hispanic people leave them at increased risk for coronavirus, particularly as the Delta variant spreads, potentially leading to widening disparities going forward and limiting the nation’s recovery.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Discussion
Together, these data show that, despite recent trends suggesting improving equity in COVID-19 vaccination patterns and a recent narrowing in the gap between vaccination rates for White and Hispanic people, disparities are persisting. Less than half of Black and Hispanic people have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose in nearly all states reporting data, including a number of states where less than a third have received a vaccine. These lower vaccination rates among Black and Hispanic people leave them at increased risk for coronavirus, particularly as the Delta variant spreads, potentially leading to widening disparities going forward and limiting the nation’s recovery.
Here in for example Cleveland, Ohio they actually brought the vaccine into the black community. Distribution set up by national guard. They even provided transportation to vaccine locations and what I mentioned earlier applies. While turnout was good the numbers reflected under a 50% vaccination rate. Myself and my wife had to travel a greater distance, on our own, just to get what others literally had handed to them. To quote Ron White "you can't fix stupid". Then too, I support anyone's decision not to get vaccinated. Point being it was placed directly in front of them and half never bothered.

Ron

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Here in for example Cleveland, Ohio they actually brought the vaccine into the black community. Distribution set up by national guard. They even provided transportation to vaccine locations and what I mentioned earlier applies. While turnout was good the numbers reflected under a 50% vaccination rate. Myself and my wife had to travel a greater distance, on our own, just to get what others literally had handed to them. To quote Ron White "you can't fix stupid". Then too, I support anyone's decision not to get vaccinated. Point being it was placed directly in front of them and half never bothered.

Ron
Many black people bring up the Tuskegee Study either directly or by reference. That shameful breach of professional ethics still casts a long shadow over today's situation. Add to that the fact that tracking of deaths and severe injury by vaccines are poorly tracked and "hesitancy" by some, especially those with sensitivity to reactions to the vaccinations, becomes understandable.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Many black people bring up the Tuskegee Study either directly or by reference. That shameful breach of professional ethics still casts a long shadow over today's situation. Add to that the fact that the pharmaceutical companies are in it for profit over benefit to mankind, and tracking of deaths and severe injury by vaccines are poorly or not fully tracked and "hesitancy" by some becomes understandable.
And having the hosts of various "news" programs rant against it to convince their viewers it is bad doesn't help either

https://www.thewrap.com/tucker-carlson-dives-into-a-grab-bag-of-covid-vaccine-misinformation-video/

Or a CPAC event where pro-virus attendees cheer when anti-vaccine comments are made.
https://www.newsweek.com/fauci-depl...n-crowd-applauded-anti-vaccine-speech-1608617

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Many black people bring up the Tuskegee Study either directly or by reference. That shameful breach of professional ethics still casts a long shadow over today's situation. Add to that the fact that the pharmaceutical companies are in it for profit over benefit to mankind, and tracking of deaths and severe injury by vaccines are poorly or not fully tracked and "hesitancy" by some becomes understandable.
Humans also suck at risk assessment. The VAXX health risks are mainly imaginary for those that chose not to get vaccinated. The reasons given are lame excuses for not getting a shot that's been field tested by billions. Yes, this wasn't the best way to field a new and experimental vaccine but the lives already saved, sickness prevented and livelihoods regenerated made it a good gamble in the USA.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Concern over the Tuskegee study is valid. But the billions of non-black people who have received the vaccine should negate those concerns, if presented properly.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Concern over the Tuskegee study is valid. But the billions of non-black people who have received the vaccine should negate those concerns, if presented properly.
I do understand how people are grasping at any excuse to not get the shot but it's time to move on. Vaccine hesitancy is killing people today.
https://www.npr.org/transcripts/967011614
ELLIOTT: Gray won a $10 million settlement for the men and later secured this apology from President Clinton in 1997.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

BILL CLINTON: What the United States government did was shameful. And I am sorry.

(APPLAUSE)

ELLIOTT: Gray, who is 90 years old now, takes issue with people citing the syphilis study as a reason not to get vaccinated.

GRAY: Individuals, if they elect not to take the vaccine for whatever reason, but they shouldn't put it, is because of what the government did to the men in the Tuskegee syphilis study because they're altogether different situations.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The decision to have children over the age of 12 rest with the parent(s).
Not in all jurisdictions. Many states allow children 16 and older make their own decisions on vaccinations and birth control pills without parental approval. Some state drop the age to 12. Washington DC allows 11-year-olds to make their own vaccine decisions if they can get to a doctor or pharmacy without a parent (once the vaccine is approved for kids under 12).

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Many black people bring up the Tuskegee Study either directly or by reference. That shameful breach of professional ethics still casts a long shadow over today's situation. Add to that the fact that tracking of deaths and severe injury by vaccines are poorly tracked and "hesitancy" by some, especially those with sensitivity to reactions to the vaccinations, becomes understandable.
Yes and sadly I hear that quite often. Here's what bothers me about that. Do the Blacks actually believe when receiving the vaccine they quietly grab a different injection for Black verse White? Interesting also is those who believe this are sort of like the less educated MrSalts alluded to earlier. The same is true for much of the white population. The well educated Blacks and Whites I know are all pretty much vaccinated. Looking at my local demographics and education levels the highest infection rates were in the poorly educated areas such as public housing where population density is very high.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Not in all jurisdictions. Many states allow children 16 and older make their own decisions on vaccinations and birth control pills without parental approval. Some state drop the age to 12. Washington DC allows 11-year-olds to make their own vaccine decisions if they can get to a doctor or pharmacy without a parent (once the vaccine is approved for kids under 12).
Thanks and good to know. I failed to think about the fact that different states have different laws and I guess some states can vary by county,

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes and sadly I hear that quite often. Here's what bothers me about that. Do the Blacks actually believe when receiving the vaccine they quietly grab a different injection for Black verse White? Interesting also is those who believe this are sort of like the less educated MrSalts alluded to earlier. The same is true for much of the white population. The well educated Blacks and Whites I know are all pretty much vaccinated. Looking at my local demographics and education levels the highest infection rates were in the poorly educated areas such as public housing where population density is very high.

Ron
Most of it IMO is because of magical thinking in a insecure (historical bias and events reinforced by current actions) culture that makes magical thinking (Pareidolia) a net positive in a few cases of possible threats. Magical thinking can usually be reduced by education but the human trait is very real and exists in all of us. Our incredible brain looks for patterns. Patterns that are good, bad and/or sometimes harmful to the culture in general are all possible without an educational foundation to select the positive.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This is nature taking its course. :(

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/cor...ocked-covid-19-vaccine-dies-of-virus/3172761/

California Man Who Mocked COVID-19 Vaccine Dies of Virus
I'm glad you've used a "sad" emoji for this post ... personally, I can't judge the antivaxxers as being dumb or stupid ... I see them rather as being confused ... and when that happens, I blame society (me included), the media, and of course themselves ... an outcome like this one is always sad.

How can people be confused when the medical experts are saying that 95% of new hospital cases of Covid-19 are people without a vaccination? Vax passports are becoming used all over the world.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
How can people be confused when the medical experts are saying that 95% of new hospital cases of Covid-19 are people without a vaccination? Vax passports are becoming used all over the world.
Only the states can have this as a health emergency requirement. We don't have a national Vax passport because of constitutional opposition across the political spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.