Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
77.9 is for an infant born today. Life expectancy of an 83-year-old male is 89.5.
My point -- especially in light of Minnesota's harsh autocratic approach to dealing (unsuccessfully) with Wuhan virus -- cannot be expressed here explicitly.

But it when right over your head.

We seem to have divided ourselves into two camps (what else is new?): one that would like life to go back to normal as much as possible for those (most) who are not particularly vulnerable to the virus, and one that would like to see death on a massive scale so they can say, "See, I told you so!".

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
We seem to have divided ourselves into two camps (what else is new?): one that would like life to go back to normal as much as possible for those (most) who are not particularly vulnerable to the virus, and one that would like to see death on a massive scale so they can say, "See, I told you so!".
I agree that we seem to have divided into two camps, one camp believes the two camps are described in bold above and the other camp who thinks the first camp wants to put everyone that doesn't completely agree with the first camp into the "See, I told you so!" camp.

Gee, I wish I could think of the word that describes that tactic used by fascists to discredit opposing views and make all opposition seem radical.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Oh, and when you are corrected on a colossal error (life expenctancy in this case) by saying "my point" and then ignore your error? Your "explanation" is just jibberish and innuendo - your vocabulary is certainly not so limited that you cannot express it here, is it?

My point -- especially in light of Minnesota's harsh autocratic approach to dealing (unsuccessfully) with Wuhan virus -- cannot be expressed here explicitly.

But it when right over your head.
I don't think anything "when" right over my head

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I agree that we seem to have divided into two camps, one camp believes the two camps are described in bold above and the other camp who thinks the first camp wants to put everyone that doesn't completely agree with the first camp into the "See, I told you so!" camp.

Gee, I wish I could think of the word that describes that tactic used by fascists to discredit opposing views and make all opposition seem radical.
The virus doesn't care. It's a force of nature that's unaffected by our feelings about how to control it.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Just invoke Godwin's Law and get it over with, will you?

Funny how the word "fascist" today has been redefined to describe those of us who just want to be left alone.

"War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength."
Oh, I was only looking for the word for the technique used by fascists to discredit opposing views by making ALL believers in opposing views seem like the most radical of that group. I wouldn't call you a fascist. You are clearly too cute to be one.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...egular-circuit-breaker-coronavirus-lockdowns/
With cases of covid-19 rising in most parts of the UK, there is fierce debate over the best way to respond. While some people argue for a “let the virus rip” strategy, others want increasing social restrictions, up to and including full lockdown, as happened in the pandemic’s first wave.

But is there another way? One idea gaining ground is that countries should hold regular pre-emptive lockdowns, each lasting about two weeks. They could be timed to coincide with school holidays, minimising disruption to education. In the UK, this would mean having these shut downs around every two months.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.ampgoo.com/no-sign-of-s...shows-normal-level-of-deaths-for-time-of-year
A sign in Manchester urges people to prevent the spread of Covid-19 - Martin Rickett / PA
There's no sign of a second wave of coronavirus, experts said, as new numbers from the Office of National Statistics (ONS) showed deaths are just 1.5 percent above the five-year average and are on a normal trajectory for the time of year.
Although the number of Covid deaths rose to 438 in the week ending October 9 - a 36 percent increase from the previous week when it was 321 - total deaths rose just 143 percent above the five-year average. In total, there were 19 fewer deaths than in the same week last year.
Experts at Oxford University said the 1,200 death number would need to be above the norm before it would normally be viewed as an "excess" over the expected variation in the data.
The researchers also found that there would typically be around 1,600 weekly deaths from flu and pneumonia in the same week. The number of deaths from coronavirus, flu and pneumonia is currently 1,621, suggesting that expected respiratory disease deaths are practically not increasing.
Figure 3_ The number of deaths involving COVID-19 was highest in males across the majority of ...png
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...andandwalesprovisional/weekending9october2020

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54598136
Wales will go into a "short, sharp" national lockdown from Friday until 9 November.
People will be told to stay at home and pubs, restaurants, hotels and non-essential shops must shut.
Primary schools will reopen after the half-term break, but only Years 7 and 8 in secondary schools can return at that time under new "firebreak" rules.
Gatherings indoors and outdoors with people not in your household will also be banned.
First Minister Mark Drakeford said the "time-limited firebreak" would be "a short, sharp, shock to turn back the clock, slow down the virus and buy us more time".

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Why are you posting data about the UK? I’m sure it’s not because you’re trying to deflect from the real situation in the US.

Statistically, while the US had 224,000 (thereabouts) COVID19 deaths, the projections including excess deathS in the US is significantly higher. Projecting US deaths inclusive of excess deaths, the mortality in the US is 300,000 to 400,000 deaths. Statistically significant difference.

I live in the US. UK statistics are not as relevant to me in making policy decisions for my family.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Why are you posting data about the UK? I’m sure it’s not because you’re trying to deflect from the real situation in the US.

Statistically, while the US had 224,000 (thereabouts) COVID19 deaths, the projections including excess deathS in the US is significantly higher. Projecting US deaths inclusive of excess deaths, the mortality in the US is 300,000 to 400,000 deaths. Statistically significant difference.

I live in the US. UK statistics are not as relevant to me in making policy decisions for my family.
I'm posting data about the UK because it's a data point without the local politics and some of us believe important knowledge can be gained by looking at the pandemic experience from around the world as a control for what's working here. My personal belief is we do have a significantly higher excess death than many locations but the demographics of age seems to be one very important factor on the level of excess deaths in mainly western countries. So UK statistics can be very relevant if you care about the science of the pandemic in a world-wide technical site.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid
It is important to note that because the P-scores in this chart combine all ages, they are impacted by differences in mortality risk by age and countries’ age distributions. For example, countries with older populations – which have a higher mortality risk, including from COVID-19 – will tend to have higher all-age P-scores by default. When comparing countries it is informative to look at the P-scores for different age groups.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...res?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&region=World

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'm posting data about the UK because it's a data point without the local politics and some of us believe important knowledge can be gained by looking at the pandemic experience from around the world as a control for what's working here. My personal belief is we do have a significantly higher excess death than many locations but the demographics of age seems to be one very important factor on the level of excess deaths in mainly western countries. So UK statistics can be very relevant if you care about the science of the pandemic in a world-wide technical site.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/excess-mortality-p-scores?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute®ion=World
Oh

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/...nd-universal-wont-return-for-weeks-or-months/
Disneyland resort president Ken Potrock said Disney’s Anaheim theme parks can responsibly reopen with strictly enforced, science-based health and safety protocols.

“Nevertheless, the State of California continues to ignore this fact, instead mandating arbitrary guidelines that it knows are unworkable and that hold us to a standard vastly different from other reopened businesses and state-operated facilities,” Potrock said in a statement. “Together with our labor unions we want to get people back to work, but these State guidelines will keep us shuttered for the foreseeable future, forcing thousands more people out of work, leading to the inevitable closure of small family-owned businesses, and irreparably devastating the Anaheim/Southern California community.”

California Attractions and Parks Association Executive Director Erin Guerrero said Gov. Newsom’s administration did not use science or data to inform the state’s theme park reopening plan.

“Let me be unequivocal: The guidance issued by the Newsom Administration will keep theme parks shuttered for the foreseeable future,” Guerrero said in a statement. “By forcing amusement parks to stay closed until their home county reaches Tier 4, the Governor has issued a ‘Keep Theme Parks Closed Indefinitely’ plan which will devastate California’s major theme park industry.”
Only seven California counties — with a combined population of 238,000 people — have reached the lowest-risk “minimal” tier. Southern California theme parks are located in the three largest counties in the state — home to more than 16 million people. California counties can reach the “minimal” risk tier once they have less than one daily new COVID-19 case per 100,000 people and less than 2% positive tests.
Walt Disney World Florida 2020

We have a different story.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
For some of us the numbers tell a different story. In British Columbia:

So far total deaths for 2020 (all causes) is 31155. COVID deaths are 254 (0.8%). Deaths due to overdose are 1195 (3.84%).

Those dead from COVID are mostly 80+
Those dead from overdose are mostly young males with unadressed mental health issues.

I wrote this before, but as virus mutates and the vaccine dream proves to be a fallacy, what next? This does not appear to be a virus that will go away.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I wrote this before, but as virus mutates and the vaccine dream proves to be a fallacy, what next? This does not appear to be a virus that will go away.
some people claim a thin mask doesn't do anything to stop/slow the propagation of the virus so they elect to wear nothing at all. Let me remind everyone that condoms are even smaller and have proven to be quite effective in preventing HIV.

Wear a mask, keep Total Daily Interactions with masked people outside of your your household bubble to less than 15 minutes per day from a distance of 6-feet or more, don't interact with unmasked people unless it is via internet, and pray that everyone else has the strength and courage to do the same. If we can get each infected person to, on average, infect less than one other person, the virus will go away without a vaccine.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That, my good friend, is what I've been asking myself the last few weeks ... there's a vaccine for influenza and yet it hasn't gone away. What's going to happen now? Yearly mandatory vaccines for every inhabitant of this planet? ... I'd like to see that being enforced.

Sad as it sounds, I suspect that the average life expectancy is going to take a plunge worldwide. At least for the next 2 to 5 years...

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
That, my good friend, is what I've been asking myself the last few weeks ... there's a vaccine for influenza and yet it hasn't gone away. What's going to happen now? Yearly mandatory vaccines for every inhabitant of this planet? ... I'd like to see that being enforced.

Sad as it sounds, I suspect that the average life expectancy is going to take a plunge worldwide. At least for the next 2 to 5 years...
Wearing glasses super important, I was at the window of a drive through when I spoke I “ Gleeked” about 3ft large dropplets, who knows how far the small ones went.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.