Cooling fan connection on a tv set

Silva

Joined Apr 25, 2007
Hi guys and merry christmas, i have installed a computer power supply cooling fan 12v, 0.25A on the back of my Sony KV36HS500 by opening a hole on the back behinde the flyback transformer,and using a external 12vDC power supply,this is because meny owners of this sets have to replace the icMZ3001D meny often,and i've red on a forum that someone suggested this to cool the D board.My question is instead of every time i turn on the set i have to turn on, and off the switch that i connected to the external power supply to turn it on and off, can i use the D board as a DC supply,i have the sckematic for my set and have a (CN9100 PIN1)that has 12DC, is that safe and doesn't put to much strain on the circuit,how i go about to know or test that you guys suggest to make before i go ahead connecting the fan there, do i need to test for amps?Thanks in advance.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
Interfacing with the guts of a TV is really beyond safe for the most part. If you're going to do that you'd use an optocouple with the proper current limiting on the diode for the +12 and the other side would go to a relay or transistor to turn the fan on and off.

If the IC has been dying from heat you can consider a heat sink. I had great success with a beer can heat sink but you can buy a premade aluminum one and glue it on with super glue.
This was for a 1541 floppy drive.

redwin88

Joined Dec 17, 2007
I really like mrmeval's idea of using a passive solution like adding a heat sink, but if you have your heart set on using a fan... you can purchase a power strip that will sense (the current) when the TV is turned on and will then turn on the secondary outlet (that your fan is plugged into). They can be purchased many places, and are intended to save energy by shutting off printer, modems, speakers, and other "extra" stuff whenever your computer is shut-down.

Smart Surge Strip (6 outlet)
www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=13128

Energy Saving Smart Strip With Autoswitching Technology and Fax/Modem Surge Protection #SCG4
www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Autoswit...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197930070&sr=8-5

Silva

Joined Apr 25, 2007
I really like mrmeval's idea of using a passive solution like adding a heat sink, but if you have your heart set on using a fan... you can purchase a power strip that will sense (the current) when the TV is turned on and will then turn on the secondary outlet (that your fan is plugged into). They can be purchased many places, and are intended to save energy by shutting off printer, modems, speakers, and other "extra" stuff whenever your computer is shut-down.

Smart Surge Strip (6 outlet)
www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=13128

Energy Saving Smart Strip With Autoswitching Technology and Fax/Modem Surge Protection #SCG4
www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Autoswit...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197930070&sr=8-5
Thanky you for the grait ideas, i like better the power strip because i don't have to mess with the tv circuitry,but can you make me understand how that works,sorry if i'm to slow to copy, i already have a monster cable power protector connected to the set,you mean i have to exchange the one i have for the suggested one, and plug the fan power supply and tv to it?, and can i still use the remote control to turn on and off the set?,or i have to turn on and off on the power strip switch?. Thanks in advance.

redwin88

Joined Dec 17, 2007
Go to this link for a better view of the product:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=13128&ta=detail_img&pi=Y&st=3

Half way down the page click on the second of the three small images (a new window opens showing a little better picture).

Keep using your surge strip.
Unplug the TV from your strip and plug the new 6 outlet strip into your original surge strip).
Plug the TV into the MASTER outlet on the new strip.
Plug the fan (supply) into any one of the SLAVE (there are four on this product) outlets.

Now your fan will automatically turn on and off each time you use your TV set.
Yes, your remote control will still function normally.