Cool noob discovery - stronger 9V batt charges weaker one in parallel

Avalanche Breakdown

Joined Mar 22, 2007
As an experimenting kind of kid, I discovered that two 9V batteries plugged into each other just creates a lot of heat pretty quickly, and ruins the batteries. Fast forward to the present, and I've uncovered a new find... for me anyway.

I built another one of my battery driven, LED flashlight projects this week, which uses two 9V's in parallel for double runtime. The only two 9V's in the house checked out at 7.9V, and the other was 8.9V. Ten cool points to all who guess where they both ended up after a few days.

Don't laugh too hard... it was a cool discovery... lol. And now it sorta' makes sense why it happened, but it wasn't expected. Of course, the flashlight did not have to be on for the V's to balance out.

Ya' learn something new every day. :D

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
from transformers to generator it is very necessary that whenever you connect two voltage sources in parallel that the voltages should always be equal. for
this not only shud they have same amp but also must be in same phase and have same frequency hope u dont try this one at home :)

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
Here's the thing...

One battery was charged by the expense of another. Just change both batteries at the same time. Power supply engineers who deal with batteries will squawk at this. Saftey!

subtech

Joined Nov 21, 2006
There are some nasty chemicals inside of some cells.
At the minimum, please wear some kind of eye protection
We'd not like it if you were to become the newest Darwin Award candidate!
It's always better to learn without the burn!
Be careful.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Just so we all know - the Army recommends using two 9 volt batteries shorted together to make an IR range reference at night. Less obvious than leaving a small fire burning with a sign posted "please stand here until you hear the mortar rounds coming".

Avalanche Breakdown

Joined Mar 22, 2007
Just so we all know - the Army recommends using two 9 volt batteries shorted together to make an IR range reference at night.
Next time I call in an evening airstrike, I'm using that tip!

subtech - LOVE the Darwin Awards, but don't worry. I won't be showing up in them anytime soon... I think. :D