converted atx supply to power multiple 9.6v 1600mah airsoft guns

indicision

Joined Mar 2, 2015
i am very much an electronics beginner and i am very sorry for my ignorance.but, here is what im looking to do...
i am trying to power multiple airsoft rifles for a haunted attraction. i dont believe "it cant be done" as someone told me. i am completely open to all suggestions even a complete new start. here are my thoughts and questions-
can i use a converted atx power supply to do this?
how many rifles can i power off a single supply?
should i rethink the power source all together?

i made a very primitive diagram to help explain what im trying to do

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It can be done. You will need to connect to the 12 v rail. A 1600 maH battery is tiny so you only need an amp or so for each gun (assume you use the 12 v rail) you should get 10 to 15 amps per power supply (look at stats on the specific supply you want to use).

Then you need a method to drop the voltage to 9.6 from 12. You may be fine and just get a bit mor power from 12 and decide to leave it. Otherwise you need a voltage regulator (let us know how many amps the guns need. We can give more info. You may have to measure it as it will not likely say on the gun.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
It's difficult to answer.
a)If we speak only of obtaining the desired voltage:
If ATX supply old with IC TL494 is very easy to modify them. Just change the feedback resistive divider.
If ATX supply is not with IC TL494, use an strep down convertor.

b)batteries are charged at a current spscific. It's important if they have or not own charging circuit.

Some pictures would clarify.
And if you find on the NET suppy schematic I can help with the changes.

indicision

Joined Mar 2, 2015
It can be done. You will need to connect to the 12 v rail. A 1600 maH battery is tiny so you only need an amp or so for each gun (assume you use the 12 v rail) you should get 10 to 15 amps per power supply (look at stats on the specific supply you want to use).

Then you need a method to drop the voltage to 9.6 from 12. You may be fine and just get a bit mor power from 12 and decide to leave it. Otherwise you need a voltage regulator (let us know how many amps the guns need. We can give more info. You may have to measure it as it will not likely say on the gun.
isnt the 1600mah the amps for the gun?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While I can understand and appreciate 9.6V 1600 mAH battery pack I have no idea how much current these rifles actually draw? Need to know that.

My best guess and purely a guess, knowing nothing about these airsoft guns is possibly you could buy a handful of LM7809 Voltage Regulators and place 1N4148 diode in the common leg and get about 9.6 to 9.7 volts regulated out. It can more than likely be done, just a matter of knowing the rifle demands. I am much better with real guns than airsoft. :)

EDIT
isnt the 1600mah the amps for the gun?
No, that is the battery rating.

Ron